Beginner looking frame advice

surferireland
surferireland Posts: 27
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there, Im pretty much a novice, I have been road riding for 3 years about 1000 miles a year, I hope to increase this.

I have had a local bike man build me a decent aluminium bike at the beginning of the year which Ive been using and enjoying, I feel the need / urge / want to get a carbon frame and use the bits from my current bike as they havent seen much action.

Ive been scouring ebay and dont know what to do. Ive seen a few Scott CR1 SL at great prices from 400+ (know about the batch of bargain frames from westbrook).

My current bike has campagnolo khamsin wheels & centaur groupset.

I mainly do charity weekend lesuire cycles 30 to 70 miles.

Any pointers would be good.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sounds like a case of ride what you have as it is still perfectly adequate for your needs and use.

If you really must spend money the Scott is fine.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you feel like you want to buy a carbon frame buy one it's your money, I bought a CR1 this year and they're good frame for the price.
    Having just swapped on to an alloy frame for the winter I've got to say that you'll notice a difference because the ride isn't as harsh on a carbon frame, but there's nothing wrong with alloy and what you've never had you won't miss.
  • Loose weight to loose the extra few pounds and save hundreds of pounds of cash in the process ;)
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Thankyou for the advice and different view points I get what you are all saying; if I've cash to throw around go for the carbon, if not stick with what I have and cycle more.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Another thought. If you buy a new frame, what will you do with the old one. Also some bits might not fit (eg front changer, seat post) and you will probably want to upgrade some of them to go with your shiny new frame. These are all good excuses for waiting a while and buying a complete new carbon bike. Also, if you buy a complete bike at a good price you are often getting the components at a better price than you could source them seperately. You could then sell your old one , or even better, keep it as a winter bike.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I don,t understand why some are putting the Op off a carbon frame when they probably own one them selves.
    As for the reply on about weight, what,s all that about (the op doesn,t mention it ) Op, if you want carbon then get carbon, it,s your money and your choice. If were honest 1 bike should be enough for any one but most have +1 or more.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    elderone wrote:
    I don,t understand why some are putting the Op off a carbon frame when they probably own one them selves

Because the OP does not use the current bike anywhere near enough to see a benefit from any changes let alone a carbon frame. Even his proposed use of a bike is minimal.

Of course he can spend the money in what he likes if he wants but was just trying to save him spending out where there seems no need.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    smidsy wrote:
    elderone wrote:
    I don,t understand why some are putting the Op off a carbon frame when they probably own one them selves

Because the OP does not use the current bike anywhere near enough to see a benefit from any changes let alone a carbon frame. Even his proposed use of a bike is minimal.

Of course he can spend the money in what he likes if he wants but was just trying to save him spending out where there seems no need.
    For once I wasn,t on about you :D . I see what your saying, but my point is if some one wants carbon and can afford it then it,s there choice, regardless of whether it is sat in the shed 24/7 or not.
    Thousands of cyclists have expensive carbon bikes that only come out on sunny sundays, are they all wrong aswel ?
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • smidsy
    elderone wrote:
    For once I wasn,t on about you :D . I see what your saying, but my point is if some one wants carbon and can afford it then it,s there choice, regardless of whether it is sat in the shed 24/7 or not.
    Thousands of cyclists have expensive carbon bikes that only come out on sunny sundays, are they all wrong aswel ?

Very true, but they did not post asking for advice did they :wink:

Anyway as I said it was actually trying to save him money - I will resume normal service forthwith :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    elderone wrote:
    I don,t understand why some are putting the Op off a carbon frame when they probably own one them selves.
    As for the reply on about weight, what,s all that about (the op doesn,t mention it ) Op, if you want carbon then get carbon, it,s your money and your choice. If were honest 1 bike should be enough for any one but most have +1 or more.

I was about to make both those points, but you beat me to it.
    There are some really odd things said/assumptions made when people mention carbon lol.

What will these people do when all bikes are made of carbon?
    I hope there is a new 'super' material for them to dissuade people from buying :roll:

Its funny that someone says (on a bike forum) that he/she wants to get a better bike and they are told not too :shock:

I wonder if the same people who say do not get a lighter, better specced bike because the rider is not up to its increased performance, are sometimes the same people who say that lighter, better specced bikes perform no better anyway :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    smidsy wrote:

Very true, but they did not post asking for advice did they :wink:

I read it that the op wanted advice about buying a carbon frame, not about whether he should or not, or any sort of financial advice.
  • Great reading this thread, you guys are great going above and beyond my expectations.

My local bike man will has a buyer for my current alloy frame and will likely do a deal swapping the gear into the carbon frame.

I went and bought a used Frame - giant defy advanced 0 - the forum info said its a comfortable kind of frame for someone who will never race? My road surfaces in west ireland are not the best.

The frame has its own seatpost - looks like a 2011 model.

Thanks again for the advice
  • This is it thanks