New Canyon(s)

yorkie75
yorkie75 Posts: 62
edited December 2013 in Your road bikes
New here so be gentle....I just received my new Canyon Ultimate SLX 7.0, full 2014 Ultegra and Ksyrium SLR WTS wheels. The only mod ive had to make is some new wider bars, so put some Zipp Service Course bars and tape on :-)

20131031_144856_zps355ec6c1.jpg

As its nearly Chrimbo, and my lad was after a new bike as well, i found a mint condition Canyon Ultimate CF frame on Fleabay, so that plus again a full 2014 Ultegra groupset courtesy of Merlin, and a set Fulcrum Racing Quattros, and hes a very happy 14 year old. The wheels will look a lot better once the all black summer tyres go on in the Spring, instead of the yellow wall GP 4 Seasons.

20131108_141746_zpsb4406372.jpg

Comments

• I wish you were my Dad!

Great Canyons. Had my frame built up a couple of weeks ago but went for ProVibe bars which are nice a comfy
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I'm available for adoption and I'm (mostly) house trained.
  • Nice! I'm looking at the CF SL 9.0 SL and the CF SL 9.0 SL. Can I ask why chose the model you did and how you found the whole sales process?

Oh and some sideways on pics would be great!
  • Really smart looking bikes those. That lad of yours is spoilt rotten! Not jealous :roll:
  • Cheers all, glad they get the thumbs up! Supermurph, to answer your question, I simply had a budget I could afford, and the SLX 7 was the best vfm, and more importantly, the best looking (!) bike in the price range. I'm not a brand snob so I don't worry about Canyon being a high vfm brand without the cachet of say Bianchi etc. As for the sales process, it was utterly painless. The size I wanted happened to be in stock anyway, and it took 10 days from ordering to it being delivered. It rides really well. My previous bike was/is a Boardman Team Carbon and the Canyon is phenomenonally comfortable in comparison, not to mention about 2-3lbs lighter, and the Boardman is hardly a heavyweight. My son really rates his new bike as well, coming from a Giant Defy which he had outgrown. I'm away with work for a week or two but will post some better pics once home.
  • Woody, I appreciate the offer, but frankly the bike is the cheapest part of him...I think the weekly food bill to cover his enormous appetite is far greater. Maddeningly he remains a streak of urine despite demolishing all and any food in sight. Far more maddening is the fact that I'm at absolute maximum to beat him up the hills now...he has a 23 year and 6stone advantage over me. :-\
  • Cheers Yorkie, not quite got your budget but think the trigger will be pulled on the SL 9.0 SL of the SL 9.0. I assume the sizing worked out ok?
  • The sizing is a funny one. I ride medium in everything. ...ive been mountain biking for the last 20+ years, always mediums. My Boardman is a medium....but my dimensions on their sizing tool said small. I took the plunge and went for the small....its a perfect fit (53cm frame). im 5'9". my lad is 5'6" I got him the 50cm, which I assume is classed by Canyon as XS, again a perfect fit.
  • OK cheers, I'm 6ft and ride a 56cm usually but currently on a 58cm Cube. Will see what it throws up.
  • OK cheers, I'm 6ft and ride a 56cm usually but currently on a 58cm Cube. Will see what it throws up.

My mate is 6ft1 and rides a 58 (Large) Canyon Ultimate SLX with loads of seatpost and 120cm stem
  • Just put in my measurements and it came out with Medium (56cm) which I'd have to go with given my first bike was a 56cm and my Cube is a 58cm, Cube's you go one size up.
  • I'm 6ft 1 and have a 58 Canyon, which is the perfect size and still allows for an aggressive set up with plenty of seat post showing, steerer chopped down and 110mm stem.

However using their online fit system put me on the border between a 56 and 58.

Best bet it is to contact Canyon directly in Germany and one of their team will give you a call back to discuss your measurements, style of riding etc and then make a recommendation on which size to go for. That's what I did.
  • I'm 6ft 1 and have a 58 Canyon, which is the perfect size and still allows for an aggressive set up with plenty of seat post showing, steerer chopped down and 110mm stem.

Best bet it is to contact Canyon directly in Germany and one of their team will give you a call back to discuss your measurements, style of riding etc and then make a recommendation on which size to go for. That's what I did.

Good advice, I'll ensure I call them.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    I'm 6ft 1 and have a 58 Canyon, which is the perfect size and still allows for an aggressive set up with plenty of seat post showing, steerer chopped down and 110mm stem.

I'm exactly the same height. My current Wilier is a 56 and that falls between the 56 and 58 in Canyon sizing. Gave all the same info to Canyon (although in the UK) and it's good to know they told me the same thing!

Unfortunately I have to wait till April for the frame mind.....