Garmin Edge 500 - Courses question

Capt.Ramjet
Capt.Ramjet Posts: 32
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all, I hope this is the right spot for this post.

I have a new Edge 500 and have a question regarding courses. I live a few miles from Richmond Park. I want to be able to start timing and recording my ride on the GPS from home, but once I get to the park start a 'course' around the park that tracks my lap times and also uses Virtual Partner. Once I've finished my laps I want to stop the course and then head home, only stopping the GPS recording when I get home. i.e. I want to start a course in the middle of a recorded ride.

Hopefully I explained that OK. Do any Garmin Edge owners have any advice if this is possible and how?

Many thanks :)
'14 Supersix Evo HM
'13 Defy 0

Comments

• Only way you can do it I believe is to stop the GPS, reset and go again and record as a separate activity.
  • mk1fish wrote:
    Only way you can do it I believe is to stop the GPS, reset and go again and record as a separate activity.
    this is what I was thinking to....cant see how you can incorporate 2/3 rides into one.stop and reset each time is the only way I can see.....could be wrong tho!!!!!
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    It's kind of doable.

1. Start you're ride and Garmin from home.
    2. Start the course in your Garmin once you reach the park to allow the virtual partner 'chasing'.
    The tricky bit is getting a separate time/laps over the course.
    Two options I can think of:

1. Press the lap button on your Garmin each time you come around (hopefully you have autolap switched off) and add the lap times together at the end to give your total time, or

2. Upload your whole ride to Strava or such like which will hopefully have a segment that coincides with your lap. If not you can create one and make it private to make life easier. All your individual lap times can then be seen. You should also be able to select the section of ride that coincides with your laps to give the total time for all laps.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Many thanks for the replies. I will experiment with this. Using Strava is a good idea.
    '14 Supersix Evo HM
    '13 Defy 0
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Page 15 of the manual suggests that you can do this but vp starts as soon as you start. I would have thought this should be doable but not needed to so not thought it out. Have you checked out dcrainmaker? He has produced some excellent stuff on the 500
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd just do the strava thing myself rather than all the stop starting mallarkey.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Mike67 wrote:
    It's kind of doable.

1. Start you're ride and Garmin from home.
    2. Start the course in your Garmin once you reach the park to allow the virtual partner 'chasing'.
    The tricky bit is getting a separate time/laps over the course.
    Two options I can think of:

1. Press the lap button on your Garmin each time you come around (hopefully you have autolap switched off) and add the lap times together at the end to give your total time, or

2. Upload your whole ride to Strava or such like which will hopefully have a segment that coincides with your lap. If not you can create one and make it private to make life easier. All your individual lap times can then be seen. You should also be able to select the section of ride that coincides with your laps to give the total time for all laps.

Please God, because we really don't need any more RP lap segments...