Wiggins comment at charity event

2»

Comments

• rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    It sounds like he was drunk. He obviously was not paying attention or he really his a ignorant fool. I tend to think the former, drunk and oblivious.

Being Knighted has f%%k all to do with the way someone should behave.
    Who was it that set the fine example by wearing a nazi uniform at a party.
    Don't forget that other sick C%%% who was Knighted.
    Sex Pistols rule.
  • heavy_rat wrote:
    Says the man mocking Lance's testicles in his sig :roll:

Nice one!

Shouldn't that be "mocking Lance's testicle", though?
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Teach them to let him loose on free booze.

Always a good tactic at a formal dinner. Get the guest speaker lashed to liven things up.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,395
    RichN95 wrote:
    However, I also think if you choose to buy into it and accept one then you have a responsibility in terms of your behaviour towards others. that is to say you can't insist/expect people to call you "Sir" and then act like a complete @rse when it suits you. that's cake and eat it!
    That bit in bold. Anyone who does that is any @rse anyway. I don't think many do. Maybe Wiggins is one, I don't know.
    Personally I just see it as a sort of pat on the back for a job well done and little else. Any idea that it demands any degree of behaviour kind of went out the window the the likes of Robert Mugabe, Anthony Blunt and Jimmy Savile - and no doubt many years before them.

When "Sir" Galahad nailed the King's fair Maiden that one time that was like...IT! for me man! Pointless bit of elitist nonsense! :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben, this really isnt one of those websites...

I had two tabs open. Ended up telling a half-dressed girl, covered in baby oil to "lighten the f*** up".
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • heavy_rat wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:
    Anything that upsets stuffy uptight people with no sense of humour is fine by me. I'm sure in reality nobody was offended by this, just sh*t stirring by the media on a slow news day.

The definition of what constitutes humour has changed considerably over the last 20 years so it's
    hardly surprising that folks of more mature years may find such "antics" distasteful.
    Also, it's like repeating the same joke: It wears thin, then ceases to be funny and finally becomes tedious.

Wiggins's party piece is fast approaching the final stage, as far as I'm concerned.

Says the man mocking Lance's testicles in his sig :roll:

If you can't spot the difference, I can understand why you find Brad's comic genius so appealing.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    trek_dan wrote:
    Anything that upsets stuffy uptight people with no sense of humour is fine by me. I'm sure in reality nobody was offended by this, just sh*t stirring by the media on a slow news day.

Lets just be clear - this was at a charity dinner for victims of child abuse. But yeah, no sense of humour :roll:

UPTIGHT
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
    Hate to say it.....but FF is correct about these threads.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,395
    in what way TWH?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Lets just be clear - this was at a charity dinner for victims of child abuse. But yeah, no sense of humour :roll:

UPTIGHT

agreed, normally i would say that it is funny and some people need to lighten up, last month he had a dinner over here to release his Opus and he was on top form, talking about Froome, Armstrong and generally being funny and not holding back. But these comments really were said in the wrong place
  • If you can't spot the difference, I can understand why you find Brad's comic genius so appealing.

This may be news to you, Saddles old chap, but your cheap shot about Lance's irregular testicular arrangements isn't univerally taken to be a sign of your comic genius.

Wiggo does appear to have over-stepped the mark here, but that doesn't hide the irony in your post complaining about an insult with a further insult in your signature.
  • plumpy
    plumpy Posts: 124
    Just FYI, David Parkin the "businessman" who is quoted in both papers saying how shocking it was, is a journalist. He runs an online thing oop 'ere in Yorkshire called The Business Desk. I expect he scuttled out of the dining room at Rudding to the loos and made a call to a mate at The Star on his mobile within seconds of Brad's quip. He's probably well p****d off that neither paper said "David Parkin, proprietor of The Business Desk". But now I have given him the oxygen of publicity he was after - damn, I have got to start thinking these things through.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Orwell said something like 'a thing can be true even when the Daily Telegraph says it is'.
    If all the quotes attributed to Orwell were actually said by him then he must have never shut up his entire life.

He only said so much to give Churchill, Dr Johnson and Oscar Wilde time off...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    People need to stop being soft or I'll suck 'em off...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

What? You mean its not started by him, not about "heavyweight old school riders", or not linked to a Sky doping conspiracy. :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
    mike6 wrote:

What? You mean its not started by him, not about "heavyweight old school riders", or not linked to a Sky doping conspiracy. :roll:

Nope. Sticking Wiggins or Sky in the title results in a number of posts which the subject matter really doesn't warrant.

We're on a page 3 of this thread about nothing.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Let's be honest he's a bit of a bellend isn't he?

More so for this 'mod' persona. It's 2013 you flute, Fred Perry's and Ocean Colour Scene? Proper modernist that. Shouldn't he be getting off his nut listening to Hardcore Belgian trance, dressed in a tin-foil space suit if he was so modernist?

Cringeworthy
  • Tom Dean
    edited November 2013
    mike6 wrote:

Nope. Sticking Wiggins or Sky in the title results in a number of posts which the subject matter really doesn't warrant.

Should I not have put Wiggins in the subject line?

FF's contribution doesn't suggest he has any problem with the subject matter.
  • Tom Dean
    double post
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    He can be very funny (for some) - people who've heard him when he's on one including journos, team mates etc say he can be as funny as a decent stand-up comedian. I've heard him interviewed on stage at a charity gig, and the audience were in pieces. Thing is that he can be very near the bone with the humour. And sometimes he doesnt put the brakes on cracks that might go down a storm at a working mens club.

Thats all (well, as I see it)

Agreed. I don't think it was that bad, I would probably have found it funny at the time, wouldn't have said it myself as I realise not everyone has the same sense of humour. Part of what I like about Wiggins is that he rejects the stage managed bullshit we get off so many people in the public eye. Surely the fact he was at a charity event presumably contributing in some way is the main thing - the fact he made some comment that allowed some people to take offence on behalf of others is secondary.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Tom Dean
    'offensiveness' aside, can someone explain the joke please?
  • He should do a duet with James Arthur.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rayjay
    He can be very funny (for some) - people who've heard him when he's on one including journos, team mates etc say he can be as funny as a decent stand-up comedian. I've heard him interviewed on stage at a charity gig, and the audience were in pieces. Thing is that he can be very near the bone with the humour. And sometimes he doesnt put the brakes on cracks that might go down a storm at a working mens club.

Thats all (well, as I see it)

Agreed. I don't think it was that bad, I would probably have found it funny at the time, wouldn't have said it myself as I realise not everyone has the same sense of humour. Part of what I like about Wiggins is that he rejects the stage managed bullshit we get off so many people in the public eye. Surely the fact he was at a charity event presumably contributing in some way is the main thing - the fact he made some comment that allowed some people to take offence on behalf of others is secondary.

Working men's clubs, Bernard Manning , those were the days :roll:
    See Bill Hicks or Stewart Lee for a real comedian. See Wiggo for a drunken tw%% who thinks he's funny.
  • mike6 wrote:

Not strictly true. I think if it had been Cav, Froome and maybe even Horner you'd have got as much.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    If you can't spot the difference, I can understand why you find Brad's comic genius so appealing.

I can''t see the difference, but I don't find either you or Brad funny.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    rayjay wrote:
    See Bill Hicks or Stewart Lee for a real comedian. See Wiggo for a drunken tw%% who thinks he's funny.
    Can Bill Hicks ride a bike
  • rayjay
    dougzz wrote:
    rayjay wrote:
    Can Bill Hicks ride a bike

No, he's dead