Tinkov and Saxo

Richmond Racer
Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
edited September 2014 in Pro race
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/11/ ... eam_310206

Expectation is he's going to announce that he's bought all or part of Riis's licence

Another challenging year ahead for Bert. Even more challenging if Tinkov totally owns his butt

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I'm guessing the pause between linking the articles and posting the picture was for you to knock one out whilst choosing which pic to use.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Team Google..
    http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Cykling/2013/11/29/184947.htm

So, Tinkov buys Riis out and makes Google as sole sponsor.

Auch..

It takes place in London - will Johan join this arrangement as well while they are at it..?
  • thomthom
    Hehe, people are already very creative on forums.. Saying that Google only does this to place cameras on the riders to keep 'Street View' updated.

Seriously, though - massive sponsor for the team and sport if true, isn't it.
  • Google would be interesting. Not short of a few bob either and could mean some cool improvements for fans.

Still somewhat unclear on all fronts though. Guess we just wait until Monday instead of speculating.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Google is the venue not the sponsor.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Sure but why would it be the venue if not related? We'll see soon.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,879
    Apparently that's were GCN are based and they are hosting the event.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15917 ... z2m8DnL9oc
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Got it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Got it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Do we know for sure what bikes they are going to ride?
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Apologies for the naïve question here - but I don't know too much about Tinkov. I know that some people don't like him because he is a bit "Russian rich" - ie has money and is not afraid to shout about it (but I also take his point that he's just having a laugh and people take it too seriously).

Some people seem to think that he is a bad, bad thing for cycling - I just wondered why?

I see that Hamilton accuses him of encouraging his riders to dope, but I also note that none of his riders were caught in the 2 years he ran his team (which does not mean they were clean, but still...)

He seems to be the archetypal Russian Oligarch looking for some fun with his money - why shouldn't he put it into cycling?

Thanks in advance for the education!!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Contador and Tinkov I can see. It's not a happy relationship, but I see it.

But put Google in the mix? Not so sure. Contador + Google, makes sense, but the mad Russian doesn't.

Google + Tinkov. WTF?

It'll end in tears.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    No, no. The Google rumour is dead and gone.

Latest is that Tinkov has bought Riis out and will hire him as SD for 4 years, 7 mil a year contract.

.. which is odd since Riis will most likely get a ban by ADD
  • Mroli for me it is pretty much what you mention in your post...not much more. I think he is a low grade character and all about his own ego rather than the good of cycling.

---

Im guessing Spec stays - locked in to Contador.
    If Tinkoff is sole sponsor then kits will be yellow and white.
    I thought I saw something a while back about Saxobank continuing in 2014 but that could have changed.
    I still think the Gazzetta is fueled on rumours and idle speculation...its how they sell papers (and how Tinkoff's pr dept keep him in the news thus stroking his ego).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That they might finally have got the uber-slippery Riis...

Ochowicz next please, Travis
  • mroli
    Mroli for me it is pretty much what you mention in your post...not much more. I think he is a low grade character and all about his own ego rather than the good of cycling.
    So all the disparaging comments are kind of "snobbery" because he is an "arriviste" rather than an ex-pro at the highest level (or French/Belgian etc)?

If that's the case, I think that cycling should wind its neck in a bit - he is enthusiastic, keen, entertaining and is putting his money where his mouth is (both considerable) and in a world of economic cut backs, anyone that can add competition to rival the moneybags teams should be feted. Provided that the only "doping" is financial.... Sure, don't be a fan, but there are plenty of teams that have the "class", tradition and high grade traditions of cycling.

Sky only got into cycling because they did the advertising benefit analysis and saw the results. At least Tinkov is indulging a passion.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I think some of his Twitter rants were deliberately provocative.

Oleg Tinkov @olegtinkov
    Iove my dog, not Froome!!! And wanna merry him,but it is iligal in Russia, heard French allow merry men ,why not dog? You'Dr liberal guys

http://topsy.com/s?q=Froome%20from%3A%40OlegTinkov&window=a&sort=-date

You can imagine how many people flocked to his support in wake of this and similar comments - Contador not worth the money etc.

I'd like to believe that he's not a moron and was deliberately winding-up the self-righteous. We'll see.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mroli
    He says that twitter is just for mucking about and having fun. Can't say that I approve of him or his views, but would rather have someone that is outspoken than a bland, boring owner/figurehead. Vaughters >Brailsford for example (entertainment rather than results of course!)
  • thomthom
    Hitting a dog is for sure being outspoken..

Had a go a women's cycling as well, didn't he.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ThomThom wrote:

Hard to imagine a more self-righteous group. He's growing on me.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • thomthom
    Macaloon wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

Hard to imagine a more self-righteous group. He's growing on me.

9GH6NnS.gif
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Oleg owns team now

Pretty much as Gazetta said a couple weeks ago
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mroli wrote:
    He says that twitter is just for mucking about and having fun. Can't say that I approve of him or his views, but would rather have someone that is outspoken than a bland, boring owner/figurehead. Vaughters >Brailsford for example (entertainment rather than results of course!)

And here was me thinking it was the riders that were supposed to entertain us. :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Bertie looks delighted:

Bafa04vCAAIZMcw.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Tinkov should sign Horner as team leader for the Tour, just to troll Contador.
  • Daniel Benson @dnlbenson
    Tinkov: "No more doping questions. Are you stupid or something?"
  • lol.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bertie looks delighted:

Bafa04vCAAIZMcw.png

To be fair they all look pretty miserable!