We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Ought to be

1) Murray
    2) Mo Farah
    3) Froome

Only one of those is world ranked no1 in their sport, and is also (imho) the one with a personality.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    Ought to be

1) Murray
    2) Mo Farah
    3) Froome

Only one of those is world ranked no1 in their sport, and is also (imho) the one with a personality.

I suppose that's Mo Farah?

Murray will win... Wimbledon trumps the Tour and and athletics worlds big time in public perception...
    left the forum March 2023
  • If Mo would have won it would have been last year. No chance or reason he gets it this year. Froome definitely more dominant and deserving than all the others...just he isnt English and has never been to this country other than for Olympics.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    If Mo would have won it would have been last year. No chance or reason he gets it this year. Froome definitely more dominant and deserving than all the others...just he isnt English and has never been to this country other than for Olympics.

I suppose he's only won the 5000 & 10 000m at the world championships and beaten the uk 1500m record this year. Pretty dominant I reckon.

I don't think Murray would be too chuffed to be called English, although he does spend more time here than Froome.
  • If Mo would have won it would have been last year. No chance or reason he gets it this year. Froome definitely more dominant and deserving than all the others...just he isnt English and has never been to this country other than for Olympics.

WImbledon rules in the UK...
    Mo Farah is a great character, extremely popular, something Froome is not (yet)... I have never seen Froome on TV, most people have no idea how he looks like without helmet and goggles, how can he win a popularity contest?
    left the forum March 2023
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Are you sure you're getting your point across ugo :lol:

Agree Murray will win.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I'm willing to lay a sideways BR bet that Froome won't get enough votes for 3rd.

His progress through the last few days of the Tour didn't make front pages like Wiggins last year. He has no recognition here from any success in the Olympics over the years - even his TT bronze last year went almost unnoticed in all the attention over Wiggins gold. He's never in the UK apart from for a race or the odd sponsor day. He's an extremely hard sell from a media aspect here.

Bet someone like Ben Ainslie makes 3rd
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    I agree Murray will win, and that Froome just hasn't clicked with the public for several reasons mentioned above.

Saw Mo at the Olympic superstars thing last year and he is obviously very popular with the public. Olympics is very dominant in the public eye - the 'asylum seeker that stole the British Olympic medals*' is much more popular than the second British passport holder to win the TdF

*To avoid any doubt, this is a joke lifted from elsewhere (Private eye?).
  • 1) Murray
    2) Farah
    3) Ainslie

Can't see anyone but Murray winning to be honest. His Wimbledon win was huge.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Mo seems like an upbeat and nice all round bloke, but in interviews he comes across as really quite thick.

Froome would have to borrow a personality from someone else to be in with a chance.

Murray is a character, some say a miserable one, and of course he will get it because of Wimbledon. But also out of the three mentioned he should be SPOTY even if he'd won nothing all year.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    1) Murray
    2) Farah
    3) Ainslie

Can't see anyone but Murray winning to be honest. His Wimbledon win was huge.

SPOTY on.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Ought to be

1) Murray
    2) Mo Farah
    3) Froome

That is the order i'd choose, although I dont think Froome will get third.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Murray deserves it - great achievement winning Wimbledon, like a Frenchman winning le Tour. Mo seems a nice guy and has achieved loads but let's be honest if he was a cyclist he'd be ripped to shreds over in the Asylum.
  • Ach, Murray deserves it. He might even make the trip to be in the room for once... :)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Murray will win and I think he should.

However. McCoy. He shouldn't even be nominated but he may come top 3. He's there because he has passed a career milestone - but his win in 2010 was largely based on that.

But here's the emperor's new clothes. In a sport which doesn't exist outside the British Isles he is only 3rd best. Barry Geraghty and Ruby Walsh are better. They do a quarter of the races McCoy does, win more money, win more big races. McCoy's reputation is largely based on his willingness to turn up.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    RichN95 wrote:
    Murray will win and I think he should..

He's currently 40 to 1 on.

That's beyond nailed on.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • RichN95.
    The one thing you will hear against Murray is that he has 'no personality'. I thinlk he a has a very nice line in dry humour.

But seeing as some morons think he hates England based on a quip in 2006 I can't blame him if he's bland in interviews.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Does anyone even here care about Froome? Yes, I know, I know, but he won't ever turn up to ride your club 10.
  • RichN95.
    mm1 wrote:
    Does anyone even here care about Froome? Yes, I know, I know, but he won't ever turn up to ride your club 10.

I think so. But certainly not in the way they cared about Cav. (Or even Wiggo or Hoy, who had the Olympics)

I think it's so obvious that Murray will win that the podium will be filled by the most motivated fans.
  • I reckon Wiggins has voted 'Murray' anyway.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Bloody tennis...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I reckon Wiggins has voted 'Murray' anyway.

Nah, Braillsford has probably done some deal where he has withheld Wiggins salary to stop him voting against Froome.

Anyone else picture Cound in a call centre beating the staff to get them to vote?
  • I reckon Wiggins has voted 'Murray' anyway.

"someone in Chorley's a huge Murray fun - 147 phone calls and counting..."
  • mm1 wrote:

^This.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    I reckon Wiggins has voted 'Murray' anyway.
    Well, they do have the same agent
  • It's all a bit second man up Everest/on the Moon etc. Furthermore the poor lad has a bit of a beige personality and the greatest jinx in domestic sport for a 100 years was overcome (Wimbledon).

How about Sky for Team of the year though?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • I think Muzza will win it, like has been said wimbledon is viewed by many many for people in UK than Le Tour, also because Wiggins won the tour last year i think it plays against Froome, it would be good for Mo to win but athletics worlds are a bit like track cycling worlds and meaning very little compared to the Olympics and generally only fans of that sport will watch the worlds whereas at Olympics you get every man and his dog watching it
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    It's all a bit second man up Everest/on the Moon etc. Furthermore the poor lad has a bit of a beige personality and the greatest jinx in domestic sport for a 100 years was overcome (Wimbledon).

How about Sky for Team of the year though?

Bound to be the Lions, or the England cricket team if they can find some form in the next few weeks.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Louis Walsh

Rasta mouse

Mr Tumbles