Anyone know the weight of the "Triban 3" frame on its own?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I know a full Triban 3 road bike is 10.5KG/23lb and people say the wheels are quite heavy (1.2KG front and 1.6KG rear) but I cannot find anything that specifies the frame weight on its own.

Decathlon have PDF files online, but only the higher spec bikes tell you the weight. I think their "Facet" carbon bike (thats about £2,500) frame weighs 1200g.

Thing is with the Triban 3 being the cheapest road bike they sell, they just don't list it anywhere. I might email Decathlon and see if they know, after all they must have had a bare frame in the workshop enough times.

If I knew what the frame weighed, I could decide whether to upgrade the wheels, or the frame. If the wheels really do weigh 2.8KG for the pair its a no brainer, upgrade the wheels.

The top end frames weight around 1000g, will the Triban 3 be double that? Triple? Quadruple?

Comments

• whatever the frame weights id upgrade the wheels anyway,
    and then do the frame next

if you do frame first the wheels will be heavy still anyway
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • I have an aluminum Carrera TDF frame in large lying around and know that weighs just under 2kg. The Triban will be the same ballpark as that as same material and price point.
  • Manc33
    So the frame is probably "around double" the weight of a high end carbon frame?

1000g - high end carbon frame
    2000g - low end aluminium frame
    4000g - Halfords :lol:

I remember looking at a cheap road bike at Halfords and I am sure it said it was 17KG. :shock:
  • Manc33 wrote:
    So the frame is probably "around double" the weight of a high end carbon frame?

1000g - high end carbon frame
    2000g - low end aluminium frame
    4000g - Halfords :lol:

I remember looking at a cheap road bike at Halfords and I am sure it said it was 17KG. :shock:

I used to have the Carrera TDF in large and stock it weight 11.5kg. Got it down to 8.5kg over time with bits and bobs, then stuck them all on a full carbon Trek frame I bought. This way I got exactly what I wanted lol.
  • Manc33
    I have a similar aim to build a "full" carbon bike, over time. A saddle here, a stem and seatpost there.

i was even looking for carbon platform pedals before. :oops:

Thing is I want carbon rims and those need disc brakes really, so I can't get a wheelset for the Triban where that's concerned, it has normal side pull brakes. Because of that I will just build one from scratch lol. I am gonna have to get selling stuff on eBay, £800 doesn't just magically appear and thats swapping some stuff off the Triban like the drivetrain and shifters.

There are cheap carbon road frames now that take a disc brake... the Avid BB5 mechanical road disc brake sounds like a good punt. I wouldn't be hell bent on having lightweight components really, that is where the cost is, I'd just build it up with mid-range stuff. Google the FR-320. :D