Ultegra or kmc chain?

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I've just changed my front crankset & rear deraillier. I suppose I may as well replace the cassette & chain too. My questions are

1 should I buy ultegra chain or kmc ?
2 if I went to kmc which model do I buy as there seems to be a few
3 I currently run 11-28 if I go to 12-30 will I get away with that without too much trouble

10 speed by the way.
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    KMC X10L. I've used SLs, ELs and they'll pretty much the same so I just look for the one on offer.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Kmc come with a joining link which makes life easier. Shimano uses joining pins which are a faff.

+1 for whatever kmc is on offer the cheaper 10/93 model is also just as good IME.
  • Used both. 2 Ultegras have snapped on me. Kmc (cheap one that came on my Canyon) has been great so far, after 3000 miles there is little wear.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    KMC every time given a choice.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • KMC on all my bikes, 8, 9, 10 speed. The price and the easy-to-open (and close) link is the clincher - makes chain cleaning so easy.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    www.parker-international.co.uk have the KMC X10 L Silver on offer @ £23.95 plus p&p.
  • I really like KMC chains but they don't like salt. On my commuter a KMC chain lasted about 4 weeks. Shimanos are a lot more forgiving. Hence I only use KMCs on my summer machines.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Overlord2 wrote:
    On my commuter a KMC chain lasted about 4 weeks.

What? 4 weeks! What sort of lube are you running?

I've been a big fan of KMC for a long time but recently I've been using Shimano on the commuter. Runs fine with a KMC powerlink.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I've never had an Ultegra chain snap. I've tried every chain known to man and have gone and stuck with Shimano chains. I always use a KMC or similar joining link.

To have a chain snap on you I reckon you you either have to be very unlucky, or its been installed incorrectly.
  • KMC chains all the way.

I have always replaced my Shimano chains with KMC, as the convenience of the master link just can't be beaten.

Currently running an X93L, have previously used the X9SL gold, and I think they are quiter and smoother too.

Do KMC not make Shimano chains anyway, but opviously to specs provided by the Big S.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Indeed they do. I run a quick link on DA chains with no issue.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Wippermann Connex with the best quick link bar none. I've used 8, 9 and 10 speed for years on three MTBs (including one SS rigid) and three road bikes (incuding one SS) and never broken one chain with tens of thousands of miles covered.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Shimano with a KMC joining link. An here's the proof