What do I need?

Scotty-Gee
Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
I've recently found myself sitting on the nose of the saddle and having to consciously push myself back on to the saddle. This is starting to have a negative effect on my man parts too so needs fixed.

I've tried moving the seat but it's about as far forward as it can go- which suggests the stem is either too long or not step enough.

What's the best to change? Keep a low angle of rise and shorten it or get a more upright one?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    No way to really tell properly without a bike fit. You want to get the saddle in the right place in comparison to your bottom bracket first, and then adjust the stem length / height to get the bars in the right place. You might need an inline seatpost, a shorter stem - or maybe both.

Best to get your position looked at by an experienced bike shop i recon - and then buy the parts required off them (or pay for a bike fit)
  • I think this pushing back you do of your backside on the saddle wouldnt even be resolved with a bike fit. When you are pushing yourself to ride quicker with more power you will naturally find that you slide forward..... well i do anyway. You even see the pros doing it on tours.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • I do find its when I'm pushing on. If I am just enjoying the road and ride then I do tend to sit back further.

I got a bike fit done recently and it wasn't mentioned then.

Maybe it's just an issue I need to resolve myself.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    you could try tweaking the saddle angle too, surprising how only a few mm nose up or down alters the comfort of the saddle. Try it out, see what works best for your own riding style.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I must agree, it sounds like the saddle is tilted down a bit. Also, have you tried the knee over pedal spindle KOPS method of aligning the saddle? It's not perfect but I've found it works for me.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    unixnerd wrote:
    I must agree, it sounds like the saddle is tilted down a bit. Also, have you tried the knee over pedal spindle KOPS method of aligning the saddle? It's not perfect but I've found it works for me.
    ^^+1 for this.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you had bike fit done which took account of your preferred riding style then maybe you just need a different saddle. If the saddle is too narrow it will cripple your man parts and you may be moving forwards to avoid the pain. As mentioned above putting in more effort tends to move you forward on the saddle until you drop the power. Look on the web for how to measure for a saddle and see if yours is OK.

As mentioned above maybe your stem is too low / long but a proper bike fit should have sorted that out.
  • I had the same issue. When experienced riders saw my set up they immediately said modern set up from LBS is to angle nose of seat downwards. They did not know why this was.
    Collectively we decided to adjust the seat to be level.

Guess what? No more shifting...