I keep being unable to clip out of my speedplays....

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
I have been out on the MTB quite a bit lately, it's been the first time for around 5 years.

On the road bike I use speedplays, and can always unclip in emergencies, but on the MTB I just can't - I'm often seen writhing around on the floor up Woburn Woods, much to the amusement of passing cyclists/dog walkers etc. I've trued both configurations, but I just can't get out of them quickly - in fact almost at all, even when I'm on the floor. It's rather unnerving.

Any ideas? Is it just me? Should I didtch them for something else (I think I've got some SPD's floating around somewhere)
Insert bike here:

Comments

• Guessing you're using road Speedplays off road not the MTB Speedplay Frogs?
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • mpatts
    Guessing you're using road Speedplays off road not the MTB Speedplay Frogs?

I am an idiot. I use eggbeaters on the MTB, Whoops.
    Insert bike here:
  • Buy some Frogs IMHO I personally found eggbeaters a royal PITA.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Can't say its the same for everyone, as I use eggbeaters and have absolutely no problem with them at all. In fact, I have never failed to unclip - a fair few times I've forgotten to unclip but as I've gone into panic mode as I get that feeling that i'm going over, I've always managed to pull my foot free with enough time to get it down and stay upright.

Are the pedals new? Or have they been on the bike for the 5 years since you last rode? If so, maybe something has seized up??
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • How on earth can you not get out of eggbeaters? It's not as if you could have over tensioned them! Have you changed the cleats? Don't forget that they are a "wider" exit angle one way to the other. (I run the narrower twist angle set up)

I use Mallets on both mine and even with the extra grip from the platform and pins I can still very easily unclip.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Worn cleats make clipping out very difficult on CB pedals.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I had the same problem on my shimanos, left side i had no problems right one an absolute pain despite being set identically. Found one cleat had slightly loosened making it nigh on impossible to unclip in a hurry. Im sure ive seen you flapping about on the floor up there in the past!
  • It must be your cleats as eggbeaters are by far the easiest system to get out of or the pedals are damaged/faulty
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Not used egg beaters but I do use the Speedplay Frogs and never had a problem with them... I love the Speedplays as they never clog up no matter how muddy it has got on the trail and the loads of free float doesnt put any pressure on my knackered knees.
  • mpatts
    Step83 wrote:
    I had the same problem on my shimanos, left side i had no problems right one an absolute pain despite being set identically. Found one cleat had slightly loosened making it nigh on impossible to unclip in a hurry. Im sure ive seen you flapping about on the floor up there in the past!

I gave them a good grease...I managed a whole ride this morning without falling over and even managed a couple of unclips!
    Insert bike here: