CUBE schwalbe Ultremo ZX RECALL

rickypj
rickypj Posts: 42
edited December 2013 in Road general
I received a call yesterday from my LBS informing me that the tyres on my 2013 cube agree race which are schwalbe ultremos zx need to be replaced under a saftey recall. I did ask what the problem was and it was mentioned that some tyres had somehow come off the rim.
They are being replaced with a newer type of folding Ultremo.
Just a heads up to anybody who may be running the same tyres to check if they may be affected.
Cheers

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/velozone ... re-recall/

Comments

• So… I have an Agree from 2012 with the wire beaded tyres. Would this be what they're calling a "2013" bike?

I recall being mildly ticked off when I realised they weren't the genuine folding tyres that the reviewers were praising Cube for speccing.
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    After being told by one of Schwalbe reps (at the RL100 exhibition) that the Ultremo ZX was “not suitable for sportive and club use” as these were race tyres”, I have now given up using them. I have had three pairs where the side walls have cracked.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    I'd love to know how the tyre knows what sort of riding it is doing and then decides not to become suitable...????
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I've had Ultremo ZX's where the thread on the sidewall peeled off constantly so that my freehub got all jammed up with thread from the tyre. I wrote to Schwalbe about it and used that same line: "This is normal. These are race tyres and not for club use". WTF does that matter? Other manufacturers seem to be able to make good tyres that don't fall apart at the first opportunity and/or cause me to have to pick bits of thread out of my hubs, rear mech, etc.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Bigpikle wrote:
    I'd love to know how the tyre knows what sort of riding it is doing and then decides not to become suitable...????

And during a race the tire isn't subjected to half the wear and abuse during a sportive or club ride. It's not as if anyone really cares if they don't last a full race either.