So confused?

BMKN
BMKN Posts: 222
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Been doing alot of research for new bike. From what I can see most bikes are equipped with shimano 105 groupset and 50/34 some 52 or 53 teeth. Wheelset usually shimano rs wheels. My current bike has 50/34 full carbon weighs 9kg with 105 groupset and stock wheels. I need a 2nd bike for my weekend spins to make it more enjoyable thn it is and easier to take the front on group rides.What is the diff too a bike with the same 105 groupset and weighing 7kg or even the ultraegra parts? Is it all to waste your money? Please excuse my ignorance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you are struggling on the front of a group ride, then a new bike is probably not going to change much for you. No harm in buying one though, but if you expect it to improve your speed, you may end up disappointed.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    While the bike does influence speed, setup , fitness and technique have more of an effect if your bike is half decent.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Changing your bike wont make any real difference and will be a waste of money if you're goal is to be able to take the front more etc. Thats purely a fitness issue and 2kg off the weight of your bike wont make any real world difference on flat'ish routes.

Work on fitness instead and treat yourself to a new bike when you get the fitness you want.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • I have 3 bikes that I use on the road, one is 6.5kg, one 7.6kg and my winter bike is over 9kg. On the flat on when upto speed there is very little difference between then. The biggest difference between then is up hills and accelerating. But not as much as you would think, this is bases on set routes that I do and logged by a Garmin on Strava. Don't buy a bike to make you go faster, buy one because you want it. If you want to go faster you need to work on your fitness.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Imposter wrote:
    If you are struggling on the front of a group ride, then a new bike is probably not going to change much for you. No harm in buying one though, but if you expect it to improve your speed, you may end up disappointed.
    ^^This and more work on fitness.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Work on your fitness over the winter and treat yourself to a better wheel & tyre combination when the better weather arrives. Should take a chunk off your current 9Kg build and may transform the ride sufficiently.
  • Definitely agree that the biggest gains will be found if you work hard on your fitness and strength over the winter.

It remains to be said though that changing your wheels to lighter ones will make the biggest difference on how easy/hard it is to accelerate faster or climb faster. Light wheels will have a bigger effect on how the bike feels compared to a lighter groupset.
  • BMKN
    BMKN Posts: 222
    I might go down the wheel route. I had a spin with my group today first time in a year and I held up with the big boys for entire ride so fitness is better. Is it a bad idea to use your commuting road bike forbeverything including races? As all parts will wear alot quicker due to milage n weather etc.
  • Not necessarily as long as the bike is kept well maintained. You won't be popular if you cause an accident in a race due to something breaking that should have been replaced.

One bike for everything as long as it's looked after. If you get some nice light tubular wheels for racing it'll make all the difference.