keep the trek 1.5 or pay 1700 for colnago frame

radiation man
radiation man Posts: 446
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
i think im going to keep my trek 1.5 alu bike, was thinking of buying a colnago clx 3.0 frame and building it up, but the price is just too much to justify going to carbon, maybe i should upgrade the 1.5 from triple tigra to ultegra compact and change the rs10 wheels

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    why not sell the trek and get an ultegra or 105 carbon bike from wiggle? they have a number of decent cf bikes for between £800 and £1200 at the moment
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Is it red and white?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    For £1700 you should find a nice carbon bike, especially if you can get something in the current sales. That way you can keep your Trek as a winter bike to brave the wet, grit, mud , salt etc.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Shop around. My winter bike was a Trek 1.5, but was too big for me. I trawled around looking for a new frame to transfer the parts (SRAM Force & Red combination after I upgraded it) and found quite a few decent frames out there. A Scapin Shindy whilst aluminium with carbon forks is a nice bit of kit for under £600 from Posh Bikes. I was lucky and found a full carbon Dolan Ares with integral cable routing in my size at £450 new from the factory. That's 50% off near enough. Do your trawling and you'll find something.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You'll find a better frame than that for that price.
    I started to build a bike in a similar fashion, I went out and purchased a frame, transferred everything over and then slowly upgraded everything. If you do it that way you'll end up with the bike you want, if you buy a bike you'll end up swapping half the stuff on it because you generally get shite wheels, chainset and saddle etc.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Yeah you could find a Colnago c59 or Eps for that price nearly new.

Or just look at a Supersix Evo full bike at £1700.

The CLX is not a great frame compared to the top Colnagos of even year ago.