Can you identify this bottom bracket and suggest upgrade?

pilot_pete
pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
edited November 2013 in Workshop
My Felt cyclo crosser has a cheapish bottom bracket which is starting to clank and will need replacement. Can anyone identify it from these pictures please?

image_zpsee99315e.jpg

image_zps84f67ea7.jpg

It has a strange plastic adjuster with a '+' and '-' on it with a tiny clamping Allen head bolt to lock it. I have tried loosening this and screwing the adjuster in the '+' direction to see if I can take up any slack! but it seems to just spin after initially tightening a little. I am assuming it is threaded into the frame and somehow tightens the bottom bracket up removing any excessive play, but it doesn't seem to be doing this.

I removed the L/H crank Allen bolt, but this just comes completely out and the crank arm stays on, so I assume it needs a puller of some sort. The BB has no cups so assume it screws directly into the frame?

Question is, can I replace this bottom bracket with something of better quality that will last more than a few thousand winter miles? What I want is weather proofness and longevity over butter smooth ceramic, lightweight- weenie.

So any suggestions?

Cheers

PP

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like it might be a standard square taper.

looks like they might be self extracting so should pull off against the self extracting ring when you undo the crank bolt then you will see.

more info on Parktools.

you will need the same type and same axle length.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pilot_pete
    Don't think it is square taper, the axle is hollow as you can see right through it. Just found a spec on this site http://2012.feltracing.com/USA/2012/Cyclo-X/Cy/F65X.aspx which is the exact model and is says SRAM BB30.

I undid the non drive side crank bolt and it just undid and came out with the crank arm still on the axle, so I think it must need a puller?

So if I assume it is SRAM BB30 I just replace the bearings for sale here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-bb30-standard-bearing-assembly/ ?

Thanks again for your help.

PP
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not BB30 but it does look like the press fit BB30 IA or BB30 IA that Sram are also doing. with that preload adjuster on the ND side and axle attached to the ND arm.

but again should be self extracting as the ring can be seen here

image_zpsee99315e.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's a SRAM Powerspline which is a cheapy version of ISIS - the only upgrade available would be to replace the chainset too. That said, it's probably more durable than most external bearing BBs.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pilot_pete
    Thanks Monty

A little more research has confirmed that this is not the most reliable BB on the market; I read of one guy who has fitted 5 in less than 5000 miles!

The SRAM GXP BB seems to be better quality, would thishttp://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-cranksets-and-chainrings/sram-rival-chainset-oct-mirror-black-includes-gxp-bb-black/10813637.html?utm_source=googleprod&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gp_sports&affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&gclid=CNj29dqOh7sCFabLtAodfy0Adg crank and BB be a suitable replacement? Will it fit my frame without issue? Also, as it is a cross bike it currently has 36/46 chainrings, do these fit a normal compact crank arm BCD? If so I could at least use the rings from my old setup.

Cheers

PP
  • I can't ID it myself from those photos but if it is Truvativ PowerSpline I just replaced mine with a Shimano Hollow Tech 2 BB and chainset. Its a pretty easy change just make sure the shell width and the threading is the same between the old Powerspline BB and the replacement. It will be written on the Powerspline BB what size it is and the threading English or Italian. If it turns out to be a Powerspline BB and you do replace it with Holow Tech and have any problems post again as I have just done this change myself last month.

PS- So far I am very happy with the change - I got fed up with PSP BBs ages ago!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    99.9% certain it will be 68mm x 1.37" English threaded BB - even the Italians are fitting English threaded BBs to their bikes these days. I'm not sure that GXP is much of an upgrade - the first GXP BBs were awful, barely lasting a winter IME. I would suggest looking at Shimano Hollowtech 2 or FSA Gossamer MegaExo and then you have the option of upgrading to a Hope BB when the standard one wears-out.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..