Bottom Bracket - replace or adjust?

zardoz
zardoz Posts: 251
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I have a bit of clunking from the bottom bracket and there is a fair bit of lateral movement in the whole chinwheel assembly. Does this indicate that I need to replace it or is it just a case of stripping down and adjusting it? I have done just under 5,000 miles on the bike and it was an entry level bike that I use for winter so not the best of components perhaps.
Thanks

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    edited November 2013
    What BB is it?

Some are not meant to be stripped/adjusted, simply replaced. (e.g Shimano HT2 external bearing type)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • zardoz
    I believe it's a Shimano Sora
  • smidsy
    Not what I was after.

What bike is it on? Make/Model/Year.

Does the BB have castellated plastic cups either side of the frame?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • zardoz
    Specialized Roubaix 2013, don't know what you mean by castellated plastic cups but there doesn't look to be anything plastic either side of the BB
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    whether it's HT2, octalink or square taper, it sounds like it's buggered and needs replacing. No adjustment for any of them*

*unless it's HT2 and the non drive side crank arm is working it's way off the splined end of the spindle
  • smidsy
    You can sometomes replace the bearings or repack internal BB's with some success.

Not so with external bearing types.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    According to the Spesh website it's 'New Sora' crankset and BB, so it will be Hollowtech 2. As above, unless the LH crank has come loose it sounds like the BB simply needs replacing.
  • smidsy
    zardoz wrote:
    Specialized Roubaix 2013, don't know what you mean by castellated plastic cups but there doesn't look to be anything plastic either side of the BB

Look again they are there, either side of the BB shell between the frame and the cranks.

Buy a new one (less than £30) and chuck the old one in next doors Garden.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    They are alloy, but the ease with which I can mutilate them with my proper Shimano BB spanner you'd think they were plastic.

Just get the cheapest HT2 BB you can find. I just replaced my 105 with an Ultegra one cos I found CRC selling them off for £11 a while ago. And you'll need the requisite BB tool. I wish I'd got the socket type rather than the pressed steel Shimano spanner; it's hard to keep it engaged with the bearing cups, the handle is uncomfortable,and it's not really long enough to exert the requisite torque either removing or installing. And you'll need the little plastic star shaped thing* to undo / tighten the plastic end cap in the LH end of the spindle. Do it up only finger tight; this applies the correct preload to the bearings. Then do up the 2 pinch bolts gradually / alternately.

*some HT2 BB tools include this
  • zardoz
    Thanks for confirming what I thought was going to be the case. Pretty sure its not anything working loose as there is play on both sides of the BB. Going to replace it with an Ultegra which seems to be pretty good value.
  • I find that for the real world/pocket 105 is a great compromise between performance and cost and is probably more robust than the higher end stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
  • zardoz
    Just an update, I replaced the BB today and all is good! First time I have replaced a BB myself, not too difficult with the right tools!
  • keef66
    Splendid stuff! Satisfying, isn't it?