Wet or dry?

Sprool
Sprool Posts: 1,022
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
I was about to order a bottle of wet lube when I came across a review on another cycle forum saying that dry lube was in fact better than wet in 2 aspects:
1) The wax from a decent dry lube is more water-resistant and less likely to wash off than the oil from a decent wet lube (in their tests on a chain in wet conditions)
2) The dry lube wax picks up less dirt so remains better all-round than swapping to a wet lube in the winter.
What do you think?

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    British Cycling recommend wet lube year round. I tend to agree if you are cleaning your drive chain on a frequent basis.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Dry lube if you want your chain to start squeaking mid-ride.
  • Sprool wrote:
    What do you think?

I think you need to stop thinking. Seriously some nut-job off the internet says using dry lube for wet conditions (eh?) is actually better than using wet lube in wet conditions? :roll:
  • Sprool
    Yep, not a nut job though, a reasoned discussion based on unbiased trials. Go figure.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Wet lube for wet or dry lube for wet if you like.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Overlord2 wrote:
    Sprool wrote:
    What do you think?

I think you need to stop thinking. Seriously some nut-job off the internet says using dry lube for wet conditions (eh?) is actually better than using wet lube in wet conditions? :roll:

This was indeed the conclusion of a not too scientific comparison done by another cycling website.

My contribution - I prefer frequent reapplication of dry all year round. I tried to apply wet lube in the depths of last winter and it came out of the tube as a lump of grease.
  • Sprool wrote:
    Yep, not a nut job though, a reasoned discussion based on unbiased trials. Go figure.

Although in fairness, a high proportion of nut jobs can be found on the internet.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I received a small freebie tube of MucOff C3 wet lube along with some haribo from Wiggle last week. Tried it at the weekend and it seems helluva lot better than the MucOff dry lube I was using before. Might invest in to bigger bottle! out again tonight and the drive train was silent as....luvverly
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    I received a small freebie tube of MucOff C3 wet lube along with some haribo from Wiggle last week. Tried it at the weekend and it seems helluva lot better than the MucOff dry lube I was using before. Might invest in to bigger bottle! out again tonight and the drive train was silent as....luvverly

Same here - received from wiggle, used it and all felt and sounded good.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    wet lube = too wet

Dry lube = too dry

Someone needs to invent a 'damp' lube...
  • Imposter wrote:
    wet lube = too wet

Dry lube = too dry

Someone needs to invent a 'damp' lube...

Or a 'moist' lube.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    stop that ;)
  • Sprool
    as favoured by the wigglehonda team.
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've recently been using Fenwicks Stealth, maybe not a 'damp' lube but not as runny as many wet lubes and kind of dries off. Works well anyway, even in 100+ miles of rain. Not cheap but the dropper applicator means you're not sloshing it on all over the place.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    OK in all seriousness now i use Finish Line dry all year round and it copes admirably.

I did a 100 miler in some dodgy weather this year without chain lube woes and I have also had cause to get the bike submereged upto the wheel hubs 30 miles from home and again no major chain lube woes there either.

Chain maintenance is the key and regular clean and lube seems to do the job IME.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I love dry lube. Clean tidy and works.

Until you go on a long wet ride then it wears off after 50 miles and squeaks all day.

The finish line wet lube is amazing in the winter. Super slick and works a treat but the chain goes black and it makes a mess.

But that is the price I'm happy to pay for excellent lubrication in the winter.
  • I use Finish Line wet all year round, just a bit more sparingly in summer time. Hasn't let me down yet and seems to last for ages & ages.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Always used dry on my motor bikes and will do the same on push bikes. My fav was always Castrol wax.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I always use Purple Extreme on my winter bike and mountain bike, I've found it good for all year round use. On my 5th bottle of it now I think.

On my proper bike, the only one I really avoid riding in the wet, Shimano PTFE. (Shimano chains, cassettes, lubes and fishing tackle are actually very good IME).