Wiggins comment at charity event

Comments

• If we're going to post every ill-advised crack he's made during a long career of cracks, this thread is going to be even longer that the one on Walsh's 'Inside Team Sky' book
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    I've heard him being more outspoken than his bosses would like and swearing from time to time, never anything as crass and inappropriate as this. Maybe I haven't been paying attention?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Wiggins is known to swear a lot. The Daily Star is the most tabloidy of the tabloids. Who knows what actually happened. And, frankly, who cares.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • He can be very funny (for some) - people who've heard him when he's on one including journos, team mates etc say he can be as funny as a decent stand-up comedian. I've heard him interviewed on stage at a charity gig, and the audience were in pieces. Thing is that he can be very near the bone with the humour. And sometimes he doesnt put the brakes on cracks that might go down a storm at a working mens club.

Thats all (well, as I see it)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    And, frankly, who cares.

Really? I`m not one for tabloids and gossip but if something like this (and the numerous other things) are true then it is an issue. They guy is rolling in money, sponsored and knighted. He cant also be an uneducated, crude, senseless and tactless lad can he.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    They guy is rolling in money, sponsored and knighted. He cant also be an uneducated, crude, senseless and tactless lad can he.
    Can't he?
  • But no worries, folks, he's going to be on stage for SPOTY this year...and I hear tell he's doing a spot of compering...nothing can go wrong, can it?

(good job 'the Kenyan' wont be winning)

*backs away slowly*
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I'm going to wait for this to be reported by an actual news outlet before I pass judgment.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    They guy is rolling in money, sponsored and knighted. He cant also be an uneducated, crude, senseless and tactless lad can he.
    Can't he?

I've got to agree with FF on this one. I don't have any problem with Wiggins being himself but I think he needs to realise that when he decided to accept something as overt and establishment as a knighthood that it came with certain responsibility which doesn't include being petulant or lairy. I guess he's crying now about invasion of privacy and how he doesn't like continually being in the spotlight etc...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    I've got to agree with FF on this one. I don't have any problem with Wiggins being himself but I think he needs to realise that when he decided to accept something as overt and establishment as a knighthood that it came with certain responsibility which doesn't include being petulant or lairy. I guess he's crying now about invasion of privacy and how he doesn't like continually being in the spotlight etc...
    We have different views on what a knighthood is then. That's fine. Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    edited November 2013
    I just hope SKY don't decide to cut their losses and buy out his contract ... because that is where I see this heading (not this current debacle, the whole 'doesn't give a Frenchfighter' attitude that's been prevalent all year) ...

He doesn't deserve a penny of his contract or one iota of adulation for this year's performance (on and off the bike) ... and certainly shouldn't be rewarded with a paid holiday ...
  • Tom Dean
    I'm going to wait for this to be reported by an actual news outlet before I pass judgment.
    :lol: may I point out I didn't just happen across this while perusing the Star. Since they are quoting an apology from Wiggins' management I assume there's something in it.

Will this do? :oops: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515455/Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-apologises-cracking-sex-joke-charity-event-child-abuse-victims.html
  • Jeez man, you posted a Daily Heil link

You may be going straight to hell for that
  • RichN95.
    Tom Dean wrote:
    :lol: may I point out I didn't just happen across this while perusing the Star. Since they are quoting an apology from Wiggins' management I assume there's something in it.

Will this do? :oops: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2515455/Sir-Bradley-Wiggins-apologises-cracking-sex-joke-charity-event-child-abuse-victims.html
    "We'd like to apologise to anyone who was offended by his language"

That's PR code for "No-one was actually offended apart from maybe one person, this exaggerated and you know it so I'm not actually going apologise. You've had your story, I've 'apologised', and that's the end of it".
  • Tom Dean
    :lol: hence my :oops:

Orwell said something like 'a thing can be true even when the Daily Telegraph says it is'.
  • RichN95.
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Orwell said something like 'a thing can be true even when the Daily Telegraph says it is'.
    If all the quotes attributed to Orwell were actually said by him then he must have never shut up his entire life.
  • Tom Dean
    RichN95 wrote:

That's PR code for "No-one was actually offended apart from maybe one person, this exaggerated and you know it so I'm not actually going apologise. You've had your story, I've 'apologised', and that's the end of it".
    So if that's what the PR people really think, is that what we should all agree with?
  • RichN95.
    Tom Dean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

So if that's what the PR people really think, is that what we should all agree with?
    You can agree with what you like. I'm just saying that it a standard PR non-apology apology that I've seen wheeled out on all sorts of BS occasions.
  • Tom Dean
    Fair enough. I just thought 'only one person offended' was quite specific. Standard.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    If all the quotes attributed to Orwell were actually said by him then he must have never shut up his entire life.
    True. This is a good one though! (the sentiment, not my clumsy wording)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Anything that upsets stuffy uptight people with no sense of humour is fine by me. I'm sure in reality nobody was offended by this, just sh*t stirring by the media on a slow news day.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    We have different views on what a knighthood is then. That's fine. Neither of us is right and neither of us is wrong.

I'm not sure my response here reflects my opinion of a Knighthood. I think Knighthoods create a class divide by way of the bestowal of a title. I think there are probably otherways in which people can be recognised for achievements and good works without a permanent label.

However, I also think if you choose to buy into it and accept one then you have a responsibility in terms of your behaviour towards others. that is to say you can't insist/expect people to call you "Sir" and then act like a complete @rse when it suits you. that's cake and eat it!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RichN95.
    However, I also think if you choose to buy into it and accept one then you have a responsibility in terms of your behaviour towards others. that is to say you can't insist/expect people to call you "Sir" and then act like a complete @rse when it suits you. that's cake and eat it!
    That bit in bold. Anyone who does that is any @rse anyway. I don't think many do. Maybe Wiggins is one, I don't know.
    Personally I just see it as a sort of pat on the back for a job well done and little else. Any idea that it demands any degree of behaviour kind of went out the window the the likes of Robert Mugabe, Anthony Blunt and Jimmy Savile - and no doubt many years before them.
  • trek_dan wrote:
    Anything that upsets stuffy uptight people with no sense of humour is fine by me. I'm sure in reality nobody was offended by this, just sh*t stirring by the media on a slow news day.

The definition of what constitutes humour has changed considerably over the last 20 years so it's
    hardly surprising that folks of more mature years may find such "antics" distasteful.
    Also, it's like repeating the same joke: It wears thin, then ceases to be funny and finally becomes tedious.

Wiggins's party piece is fast approaching the final stage, as far as I'm concerned.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    One might be prepared to give a bit of slack if he was in any way actually funny.

Although on this occasion, probably not.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Made me chuckle. Teach them to let him loose on free booze.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Written down things can sound entirely different to the way people say them. Let's wait until the Xmas DVD comes out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Suck me off.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben, this really isnt one of those websites...
  • trek_dan wrote:

The definition of what constitutes humour has changed considerably over the last 20 years so it's
    hardly surprising that folks of more mature years may find such "antics" distasteful.
    Also, it's like repeating the same joke: It wears thin, then ceases to be funny and finally becomes tedious.

Wiggins's party piece is fast approaching the final stage, as far as I'm concerned.

Says the man mocking Lance's testicles in his sig :roll: