Is it Possible to find out who created a Strava segment?

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited November 2013 in Road general
Yes?

or No?

Also, if someone flags your ride, can you find out who?

Ta!

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Look if you have cheated you deseve all you get :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I dont think its possible to see who created a segment - which is a pity because i'd like to give some abuse to a few who duplicate existing segments with a slight change in the start and stop points in the hope that they move up the leaderboard a bit. :D
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It's not - I asked them, as I wanted to try and rationalise some of our local segments. Personally I think they could provide something that allows you to contact the segment creator, but allow them to remain anonymous if they want to.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • This flagging thing...?

My best effort is a 3rd. Pretty Crap I know but my mum thinks I'm special. :roll:

If I flag the 1st and 2nd place guys, will that give me a KOM and make me a winner...?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    I'd love to be able to contact the people who created some of the less sane local segments just to ask wtf they were thinking at the time. I have a vague memory you used to be able to comment on segments a couple of years ago but that was evidently removed at some point.
  • In the early days of Strava you could leave comments about sections, and as you would imagine that feature was removed pretty quickly…...
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I'd like to find the guy who made this, and ask him to teach me how to ride it.
    nonsense.png
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Looks cool from space...

I assume this is a turbo session with the GPS still on
  • Thanks for replies. Just curious to know who created some round our way.

Mine are all easy to spot, as they're named in English!

Some English bloke on holiday had created one not far from my house, near the sea, that was a higgeldy-piggeldy mess of left, rights, lefts, etc. over 4 or 5km, that you could never follow unless you had your Scout's badge for orienteering.

He was KOM, 1 of 1. Ahem. I think we know who created that one then......
  • He was KOM, 1 of 1. Ahem. I think we know we created that one then......

If its called 'Scouts Orienteering Badge', them i'm gonna guess you...?

8)
  • tomh101 wrote:
    I'd like to find the guy who made this, and ask him to teach me how to ride it.
    nonsense.png
    have you tried looking in the phonebook under "local idiot" :lol::lol:

you'll find him there.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Why would you give a sh#t though?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've done some running abroad and found myself one of one on segments that I havent even created ?

I didnt think you could create a segment without doing it ?
  • One of the best features of Strava is that you can't see who created the segment. Means segments just exist and aren't owned (or seen to be owned) by a particular person.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You can create a segment from your ride/run then delete your ride/run - this would explain cougies phenomenon.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Means segments just exist and aren't owned (or seen to be owned) by a particular person.

Very sensible this otherwise Strava would become so over competitive, oh hang on a minute :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    cougie wrote:
    I've done some running abroad and found myself one of one on segments that I havent even created ?

This!

I'm KOM for a 1mile uphill footpath in Rechberghausen. 1 of 1.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • arran77 wrote:
    Very sensible this otherwise Strava would become so over competitive, oh hang on a minute :wink:

haha, yeah, but it would also mean people being known for creating a lot of segments, or getting grief for being KOM on their own segment, just causes a lot of stuff over and above everything Strava already has.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Ben6899 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

This!

I'm KOM for a 1mile uphill footpath in Rechberghausen. 1 of 1.

Is it a categorised climb? Strava automatically creates segments when it thinks it sees a categorised climb - even if the criteria are met by the climb being from -100m to 10m because the GPS data was dodgy. You can see if the segment is actually 'yours' in My Segments... Created Segments, and you can delete any created for you. Otherwise you have to ask Strava to take them down - the segment creator may not be aware that they exist.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Some of the short segments seem a bit pointless but I'll forgive them if they make an effort with the name. I recently discovered the "Col de Costcutter" in Tadcaster, it's 0.1 miles with 23 feet of climbing!
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    On my ride last Sunday, in only 2.5 hours I managed to find 2 sections of Essex road that are not in a segment.

Is this a record?
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro