Are Bike Stores bad for wheels?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited November 2013 in Road general
i'm sure the answer may well be no but bear with me.

yesterday i had two spokes snap on my way to work on my front wheel, if spokes are going to snap then i'd have thought the rear wheel is much more likely.

For the past 3 weeks or so i have been based in a different office and have fitted mud guards which means i have been putting my bike in the store supported by the front wheel (its one of the v shaped ones that you push the tyre into). could this have damaged my wheel? it doesnt fit too tightly so the bike can move side to side quite a bit, not enough for the bike to fall over but it could put odd pressure on teh wheel and if a spoke was against the support it might damage it? maybe?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Very unlikely.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • On itself, damage to the spokes is very unlikely. An "oops, nothing happened" accident by the person parking their bike next to you is possible. If your bike got hit badly directly to the spokes, that could have damaged it enough to make the strain of riding snap it.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 138
    I agree with the others that it's unlikely that method of storage would effect spokes but I tend to avoid parking my bike like that.

A fellow rider was having trouble with broken spokes on the front wheel before discovering he had a crack in his front forks. Might be worth checking out...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I've only ever broken front spokes, I think its pothole damage that does it coupled with the fact that the rear wheel is normally a little stronger anyway to cope with the torque.

Cold weather wont help either.
  • chris_bass
    yeah, probably just one of those things (coupled with cheap factory built wheels, RS10s!)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Chris Bass wrote:
    yeah, probably just one of those things (coupled with cheap factory built wheels, RS10s!)

Indeed. I had RS20's on my CAAD when I bought it and they eventually got to the point where they would not true up due to nipples seizing.

Get some nice 32 spoke handbuilts with proper j-spokes (not bladed) and brass nipples - happy days.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • chris_bass
    smidsy wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Indeed. I had RS20's on my CAAD when I bought it and they eventually got to the point where they would not true up due to nipples seizing.

Get some nice 32 spoke handbuilts with proper j-spokes (not bladed) and brass nipples - happy days.

don't worry, i'm already investigating hand built wheels! Might need to wait until after xmas until i can afford them though.