frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited November 2013 in Pro race
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    Interesting read, cheers for posting.

I can't help but feel slightly glad that they've not gone down the traditional Sky route. It's exciting to hear a young British rider say they want to have a crack at LBL and Fleche Wallone.
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves wrote:
    Interesting read, cheers for posting.

I can't help but feel slightly glad that they've not gone down the traditional Sky route. It's exciting to hear a young British rider say they want to have a crack at LBL and Fleche Wallone.

Is the Sky route traditional? Only Swift, Rowe, Dowsett, Edmonson and Kennaugh have gone to Sky as young riders, with varying levels of success. I'd have said the 'traditional' route would be heading over to Europe to claw up the rankings.

Then again, historically Britain has produced a very small number of World Tour riders.

Good point, I think I was alluding to a recent tradition (oxymoron?).

I just like the idea of young Brit riders like the Yates brothers being let off the leash in any of the classics, although this is probably unrealistic for the next few years.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    :D I dont mind either way. Young Brits making it into the top pro ranks is always a plus for me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    I agree that it's nice to see them talking Classics and that it is good that they haven't gone to Sky but I'm not convinced OGE is the right place either. Problem is, I'm not sure where is the right place for riders with hilly classics ambitions :?
  • gpreeves
    Possibly true, they haven't exactly been prominent during recent editions.

Maybe Katusha :? would have been a good choice ?
  • gpreeves wrote:
    Possibly true, they haven't exactly been prominent during recent editions.

Maybe Katusha :? would have been a good choice ?

Before Purito heads off to Team Alonso next year....
  • Agreed, a good read - thanks

Are OGE still trying to deliver Goss so he can come 3rd in some GT stages or are they trying for the Classics? It's a decent team - I would love to see the Yates brothers really go at LBL for example
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Agreed, a good read - thanks

Are OGE still trying to deliver Goss so he can come 3rd in some GT stages or are they trying for the Classics? It's a decent team - I would love to see the Yates brothers really go at LBL for example

I've read that its finally clicked that he aint gonna beat Cav or Kittel in a flat out dog fight - so they're going to try to position him for the Degenkolb etc selective stages. Apparently.

Lets not get too carried away re young Simon and Adam for the next couple of years while they adjust to the pro ranks and riding WT. We've been here before just 12 months ago with JTL....