Pedal query

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
afternoon all.

currently run mountain bike spd's for unclipping ease. Considering swapping to a different pedal to see if it helps me to put more power down when climbing.

my main concern is clipping out easily with the least amount of stress on my dodgy knees.

I have narrowed it down to Look Keo 2 max or Shimano 105. Has anyone had experience of both pedals to know which are easier to unclip from.

Not concerned with pedal price to a degree or wear time of the cleats.

thanks

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have no experience with either since like you I have SPDs on my road bikes. I like the double sided easy clip in / out.

Did you consider getting a stiffer soled shoe and sticking with the SPD's?
  • tom3
    I have the specialized sport mtb shoe which is a very stiff sole. It may be the case there is no more power to be had from different pedals/shoes, but thought id ask as I had no experience of a different style.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Best pedals for dodgy knees are probably speedplay since they offer alot of float.

Shimano 105's dont give much float, not compared to mtb spds.

Stiff shoes would be a better option, or getting fitter, or getting fitted. I've used mtb spd's on the road bike, and they're fine.

And also, power is produced by you, not your shoes and pedals.
  • styxd
    tom3 wrote:
    I have the specialized sport mtb shoe which is a very stiff sole.

I wouldnt have thought it has a stiff sole at all, not compared to a carbon race shoe.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Have tried both and much prefer the Look Keos with red cleats. Easy on the knees and easier in\out IMHO.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • tom3
    styxd wrote:
    tom3 wrote:

I wouldnt have thought it has a stiff sole at all, not compared to a carbon race shoe.

you may be right, googled it and they have Injection-molded nylon composite outsole.

should have worded original post better too, I dont want to waste power/effort in to an inferior pedal type or shoe.
  • styxd
    tom3 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    tom3 wrote:

you may be right, googled it and they have Injection-molded nylon composite outsole.

should have worded original post better too, I dont want to waste power/effort in to an inferior pedal type or shoe.

Honestly, I'd stick with the MTB spds and get new shoes, rather than new pedals. Also, factor in a good set of insoles that offer proper arch support. If you aint got much to spend, get 2nd hand shoes off ebay. That's what I often do.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,004
    Shimano A520 are 'touring' SPD pedals - bigger platform than the mountain type M520. Enough support for me, easy to unclip, you can use the same shoes and walk to the cafe counter.