R.I.P Bodie (Lewis Collins)

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited November 2013 in The bottom bracket
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-11-2 ... s-aged-67/

Sad news :(

Was my T.V hero as a boy, Always wanted to be Bodie never Doyle that Mullet just didn't cut it.
Loved him in Who Dares Wins.

Didn't even know he had cancer, Apparently he was just as fit as his on screen characters.

Love watching re runs of the Professionals on ITV 4, reckon this and the Sweeney had the best theme tunes of all time.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    He's like the star that never was, somehow. He must have done something with the rest of his life, but outside of The Professionals and Who Dares Wins, what was it (on big or small screen anyway)? OK, follow the stories on the linky and you get one extra for the Jack the Ripper film, but as a poster boy of the time he should surely have had more success?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Noooooooooo! Say it isn't so :cry::cry:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    One of life's great travesties was that Martin Shaw made it big whilst the far cooler Collins did next to nothing. He was far more believable in the role too. To think Shaw went on to block repeats of The Professionals for years as he became so convinced it was beneath him and potentially minimised future earnings from repeats etc. for other cast members.
  • seanoconn
    Pross wrote:
    One of life's great travesties was that Martin Shaw made it big whilst the far cooler Collins did next to nothing. He was far more believable in the role too. To think Shaw went on to block repeats of The Professionals for years as he became so convinced it was beneath him and potentially minimised future earnings from repeats etc. for other cast members.
    Absolutely, Bodie was so much cooler, although at primary school, nobody wanted to be Bodie because it sounded too much like bogie. Collins should have gone on to some great action roles but sadly not to be. As for Shaw and that hair, no wonder he put the block on repeats.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My mate was Bodie; wouldn't show up in the pub till 10:03 on a Sunday night as that was how long it took him to walk there after The Professionals had finished. He used to arrive Bodie-style by throwing himself across the floor of the snug, arms outstretched shouting 'FREEZE' or "He's yours" etc. :) Happy days.

Sad news though. Another late-teens icon gone.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Anyone else feel really old learning that he was 67? I thought he'd be late 50s to early 60s. Going to see if Who Dares Wins is available on iTunes, haven't seen it for years. Hopefully they'll put it on TV soon.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pross wrote:
    Anyone else feel really old learning that he was 67? I thought he'd be late 50s to early 60s. Going to see if Who Dares Wins is available on iTunes, haven't seen it for years. Hopefully they'll put it on TV soon.

Love the bit were the Terrorists and their hostages are in the house next door, and the SAS take the wallpaper off the party wall and the bricks out one by one then burst through the wall paper on the other side.

My Uncle Maurice was a builder, can remember him saying "Couldn't do that Wall would never stay up without a RSJ".
  • Ford Capri bonnets worldwide will be holding a candlelit vigil.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    went sky diving with him once, struck me as somewhat unsure of himself. I agree with the comments I heard on radio. Shaw and collins had good chemistry on screen together.

not a massive fan of the professionals myself but it could be entertaining hoccum.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • seanoconn
  • seanoconn wrote:

Written by Laurie "The Avengers" Johnson, y'know. I agree, it's an absolute 70s classic.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • For lads of a certain age (c'est moi) the Sweeney and the Professionals were just the best things on TV during our 'formative' years. I definitely attribute my love of Classic (but rubbish!) British Cars to those shows, and have owned various Mk 1 Granadas, Cortinas and Capris over the years- now its a rather more gentlemanly Triumph Stag, which is probably more George Cowley than Bodie or Doyle. Or maybe not. I loved Jack Regan and George Carter from the Sweeney, but Lewis Collins as Bodie was the coolest of the lot. Like others I'm a little surprised his acting career didn't develop - I guess that's just the way it is. He did apparently meet Chubby Broccoli to discuss the role of James Bond, but it didn't happen for him. I wish him peace in whatever 1970' s Ford he is now driving around in......
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    --Darren-- wrote:

Ultra right wing horseshite, but loved it as an adolescent before I knew better.

Loved The Professionals though, Lewis was so much cooler than Martin Shaw