Assos Climajet Waterproof Jacket

Velonutter
Velonutter Posts: 2,437
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Mines gone like a browny colour, always been washed in either a non bio washing powder of Halo Sports Wash.

It's an expensive item that I really don't like looking this colour, any ideas how to restore back to it's original?

I have thought about sending it back to Assos and see what their thoughts are.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What colour is it supposed to be?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Velonutter
    smidsy wrote:
    What colour is it supposed to be?

White :cry:
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Always worth contacting Assos and possibly returning. I sent back a few Assos items for repair, following a fall, a few months back through their distributor Yellow (who are not a million miles from you in Staffs - worth popping over to see them for advice)

http://www.yellow-limited.com/page.php?name=contact-us
  • Velonutter
    Thanks, yep I have sent a couple of things back to Assos and they have been superb at repairing crash damage or broken zips, can't fault them,.

Rather than going up to Yellow, I'll try firing off a photo to Assos and see what their comments are like, a mate of mine has had exactly the same problem and he won't wear his now because it looks so bad.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You're right; it looks like a freezer bag that's had carrot soup in it for 6 weeks.
  • Velonutter
    Yep and just had a very quick reply from Assos to say they have referred the matter to the disties (Yellow)
  • smidsy
    Could try GlowWhite (or whatever it is called). Stuff you use to get net curtains back to white so should be fairly gentle?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How old is it ?
  • Velonutter
    cougie wrote:
    How old is it ?

Couple of years, it's been like that since about it's 2nd or 3rd wash, my mate has had the same problem
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Velonutter wrote:
    a mate of mine has had exactly the same problem and he won't wear his now because it looks so bad.

Tell him to send it to me - I'll wear it if he won't...
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    I believe quite a few people have found this problem although they still seem to work ok. With mine, which is probably five years old, I always wash by hand in the sink if needed without any soap, basically just swill them though and the mud and muck seems to come off.

While not as perfect as a brand new one I have no problem wearing it.

But would be interested to know how you get on.

SV
  • That's pretty standard from my experience.
    Mine was white, grey, then briefly Rapha pink after being washed with my wife's dress.
    Thankfully back to grey now. Still works fine.
    I'm not sure it's realistic to expect it to stay white, considering it's exposed to the muckiest of weather.
  • Velonutter
    I generally don't ride in the rain so its only been worn 5/6 times, so I could understand if it was worn all the time, I can probably recall every ride its been used on.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    Had the same problem with a castelli jacket. They are equally as crap.

That's what happens when Manufacturers pass off what is essentially a white plastic bag as a piece of clothing.
  • smidsy
    Have to say My Santini one has also gone somewhat off colour (although not as bad) so maybe it is just the way it is with these things.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    Thanks, yep I have sent a couple of things back to Assos and they have been superb at repairing crash damage or broken zips, can't fault them,.

Rather than going up to Yellow, I'll try firing off a photo to Assos and see what their comments are like, a mate of mine has had exactly the same problem and he won't wear his now because it looks so bad.

Be honest, you washed it in piss, didn't you.
  • Velonutter
    Assos passed the complaint onto Yellow and they have asked me to send the jacket back to them, will keep you advised.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The previous incarnation also went yellow. It's at the back of my wardrobe. White is generally a bad colour anyway. It goes grey/picks up other colours/shows grease marks,baked bean juice etc.White looks great in the sun (Argos-Shimano) but crap on a wet day
    M.Rushton
  • Velonutter
    The daft things is that a couple of my mates jackets still remain as white as the day they bought them :?
  • smidsy
    Velonutter wrote:
    The daft things is that a couple of my mates jackets still remain as white as the day they bought them :?

Never been out in the rain hey :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Velonutter
    Well Gary at Yellow has just made my day, Assos have agreed to replace my jacket and very subtly suggested that I read the washing instructions, specifically only to let it dry on a hanger not on a radiator, which I think my missus might have done when I needed it the next day.

So big thumbs up for Assos and Yellow.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Velonutter wrote:
    Well Gary at Yellow has just made my day, Assos have agreed to replace my jacket and very subtly suggested that I read the washing instructions, specifically only to let it dry on a hanger not on a radiator, which I think my missus might have done when I needed it the next day.

So big thumbs up for Assos and Yellow.

Result. :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • My climaJet jacket looked just the same as yours after a couple of wears, and I never had it anywhere near a radiator. I threw it away it eventually but it seems I should have sent it back. Then again, I found these Assos jackets to be a sweaty as a plastic bag and and waterproof as one made of paper, so I probably did do the right thing in binning it! :lol:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Velonutter
    My climaJet jacket looked just the same as yours after a couple of wears, and I never had it anywhere near a radiator. I threw it away it eventually but it seems I should have sent it back. Then again, I found these Assos jackets to be a sweaty as a plastic bag and and waterproof as one made of paper, so I probably did do the right thing in binning it! :lol:

The 5/6 times that I have worn it has been superb, no rain through and probably the best for me with regards to sweating.

The longest I have worn it is only about 40 miles, but I was very impressed, I have a number of other waterproofs and the only other one that has come near has been the Campag one, the Castelli one was just like wearing a plastic bag
  • Velonutter wrote:
    The 5/6 times that I have worn it has been superb, no rain through and probably the best for me with regards to sweating.

Are the seams taped now? They weren't on mine and the water practically poured in through the seams in heavy rain, not helped by the fact that the thin, stretchy material tended to open up around the stitching.

As for breathability, mine was much inferior to my current jacket, which uses Gortex paclight material.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

Are the seams taped now? They weren't on mine and the water practically poured in through the seams in heavy rain, not helped by the fact that the thin, stretchy material tended to open up around the stitching.

As for breathability, mine was much inferior to my current jacket, which uses Gortex paclight material.

Yep Taped seams and waterproof, the day I road 40 miles in the rain I was as dry as I was when I started.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Do you get to keep the yellow one?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Velonutter
    seanoconn wrote:
    Do you get to keep the yellow one?

Nope I had to send that to Yellow and they kept it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    keef66 wrote:
    You're right; it looks like a freezer bag that's had carrot soup in it for 6 weeks.

I was thinking more........ used condom :shock:

Sorry if I have lowered the tone :oops: