Tyre Scraping at top

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Morning guys,

I replaced tyres on my Boardman commuter at the start of the week - after a lot of research into puncture resistance, I went for 25mm Panracer Ribmos (made by panasonic!).

Ive just noticed that the front tyre is catching the top of the brake holder once every revolution (so something isn't completely round - be it the tyre or rim). I was just surprised at how little margin of error I now have at the top - can the brakes be adjusted to leave more of a gap or maybe install a different bracket?
I really like the tyres so want to try and keep them if I can.
Sorry - as you can tell, my mechanical knowledge is abysmal, thats why im here to ask the experts!

Heres a picture of the problem (excuse the filthy bike, took this photo after getting home last night!)
photo.JPG

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Make sure the tyre is seated correctly, take it off and re -fit it.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Check the tyre is seated properly on the rim. There is a finite clearance on any bike but 25mm tyres on a bike without mudguards should fit fine I'd have thought - though others may know differently.

Wheels can be out of round and if it isn't the tyre then I suppose it must be the wheel - in which case you should be able to get it trued up by someone that knows what they are doing. If you remove the tyre it should be possible to judge whether the wheel is out of true by eye when you spin it - or put something close to the wheel and spin it to check.

edit - DD beat me to it
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless you have something seriously wrong with your wheel, it has to be the tyre. As above, remove and refit it. Pump it up a tiny bit, then check all round, pressing the tyre into the rim to ensure it's evenly / properly seated. Add a bit more air and repeat. Don't inflate it fully till you're happy it's uniformly seated.

What pressure are you inflating it to?
  • As above, check how the tyre sits on the rim.

Panaracer are excellent tyres and it is Japanese norm to have companies making completely different products:

Yamaha: motorbikes and music instruments!
    Mitsubishi: cars and electric appliances!

It was common in France too... I remember BIC was making pens and Windsurf equipment...
    left the forum March 2023
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I will refit and take a close look at the tyre tonight and let you know how I get on.
    Hopefully its that simple as I love these tyres - only found out about them a couple of weeks ago - no more gatorskins for me!!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Yamaha: motorbikes and music instruments!"

We once viewed a semi detached house and the neighbouring one had Yamaha stickers in one of the bedroom windows. Either way we thought it might involve noise. Luckily we didn't like the house anyway...

We currently have a Daewoo microwave.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Looks like you have the quick release lever open on the brake calliper ?
    Does the tyre still rub with it closed properly ?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If the tyre is fitted correctly it may simply be that the bike trye combination is not compatible. (Not much clearance). So you may have to run 23mm tyres.

You could do with centering your brakes BTW.
    Yellow is the new Black.