Threadless bottom bracket

asjc
asjc Posts: 103
edited November 2013 in Road general
Morning all, riding back from work yesterday on the old woodrup, noticed some bottom bracket noise, did the last mile gently and sure enough found that the non drive side shell was loose, tried to tighten but the thread in the frame is buggered, spoke to a bike mechanic friend who suggested either argos doing a frame repair which is probably quite an expensive job, sweating off the lug, new bb shell, re braise and then paint or to try a threadless bb , anybody got any experience of these? There are 3 different ones on fleabay, guessing the bearings are not the greatest and doing a bit of internet searching the velo orange one seems to be the best available , Sheldon b. mentions it, but I can't help feeling a bit sceptical. Experience with these? Many thanks.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If there's enough metal in the shell then a ream and sleeve is another option available to you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asjc
    The ream and sleeve thing could be an idea, its an old 531 frame and the lug material is quite thick there, you ever seen this done or have experience of it?
    Many thanks for your reply. adam
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Is it definitely beyond retapping?
  • redvee
    asjc wrote:
    The ream and sleeve thing could be an idea, its an old 531 frame and the lug material is quite thick there, you ever seen this done or have experience of it?
    Many thanks for your reply. adam

Yes, Argos ream and sleeved a Reynolds frame for me, 501 IIRC. You need to strip the drivetrain and wheels off the bike but the rest is OK to stay on the frame.
  • asjc
    Redvee, you are absolutely right, just spoken to mark at Argos who says its a standard repair to ream and put an insert in, they sound really professional so that's great, so thanks for the heads up on that. Didn't really fancy the threadless thing-very mixed reports on those. That's my Christmas present taken care of. All for ny favourite winter bike ( I have 3 x winter bikes) but I don't want to open that can of worms here.....tee hee. :lol: Many thanks. adam
  • redvee
    Don't expect the bike to be turned around quick. They are busy in the winter as most people have their bikes resprayed etc this time of year.