Nukeproof Mega TR

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited March 2015 in Your mountain bikes
After seeing a Mega TR frame on CRC at a very good price I decided it would be rude not to order one!
Im expecting a big box to fall through my letter box any day now :-)
A lot of the parts are coming from my Anthem but will eventually be upgraded. The initial build will be this:

Nukeproof Mega TR. Black extra large
Rockshox Revelation RLT
Mavic XM719 rims 26"
Superstar Switch Evo hubs
Deore cranks
SLX 9 speed mech, shifter and cassette
34t Renthal SR4 chain ring
Nukeproof Sam Hill seat post
FSA Gravity 720 bars
FSA Gravity 60mm stem
Charge Spoon saddle
Continental Rubber Queen black chilli 2.2 race sport
Nukeproof headset
Shimano Deore brakes
Shimano XT pedals.

Comments

• Looking forward to seeing this. I rekon they're perfect trail bikes for the UK, in a similar way to the Bandit & Blur TR.

If break my frame (I really hope not) at any point I'd be buying one as well!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    After seeing a Mega TR frame on CRC at a very good price

You're welcome :wink:
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Awesome mate, another one joins the club! Looking forward to seeing how it builds up ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Kowalski675
    Jealous here.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Nice! I also noticed that the new mega AM is at a bloody good price too! But only in yellow!

Shame really, as I'm pretty sure mine would cover half the cost! And the new one seems to put right all the things I'm not overly keen on, on the older one! Plus, at 6 foot 2, I should be riding a large rather than the medium I'm using now!
  • rockmonkeysc
    More bits ordered tonight. Cleared space to start building it.
    Last ride on the Anthem today, I will be sad to see it go but it's time to strip it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    A big box has arrived!
    I need tea, allen keys and cake.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Come on then, we need pics :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Nice to know they can get a bike to you quicker than they can get a BB to me (ordered on the 14th!).

Anyway, yes... we demand photographic evidence of said cake, er... I mean bike! :mrgreen:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • @lexD
    @lexD Posts: 340
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Nice to know they can get a bike to you quicker than they can get a BB to me (ordered on the 14th!).

Anyway, yes... we demand photographic evidence of said cake, er... I mean bike! :mrgreen:

If makes you feel better I am waiting for my XT brakes from CRC which were dispatched on the 18th. Got to wait till weds before they will resend :(

Come on rockmonkey please put some pics up to cheer me up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'm still at work (and doing bugger all). Photos will be posted later.
  • rockmonkeysc
    969267_10201911881671984_878088530_n.jpg

The frame is a thing of beauty! Really nicely finished with lots of nice touches like the bolt on cable guides, bolt on dérailleur mount and Reverb stealth internal routing (I have an old fashioned post though) Lovely paint work and they have even faced the BB shell.
    It's just a shame I ordered the wrong headset :x Looks like I'm tiling the kitchen wall tonight :cry:
  • Kowalski675
    Want it.
  • @lexD
    P1ss poor planning results in Thankless DIY evenings rather than cool bike building! :shock:

Shame on you :P
  • rockmonkeysc
    It didn't go to plan but on the bright side now that the tiling is done I will be free to ride all weekend.
    A new headset has been ordered.
  • Thats really nice. Bet you cannot wait to throw a leg over it and get some miles in on it.
  • @lexD
    It didn't go to plan but on the bright side now that the tiling is done I will be free to ride all weekend.
    A new headset has been ordered.

Awesome recovery happy days, but I think you should check your grouting and I will take the mega for a test ride :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Work has started. The Anthem is stripped.
    New BB fitted in the Mega frame. Front mech mount fitted and XT mech bolted on. SLX rear mech fitted. 142x12 axle fitted to the Superstar rear hub. Cranks cleaned and re-fitted with 26/36 chain rings and a MRP bash guard.
    Just need the new headset to arrive and get a 203 ftont brake mount and a pair of gear cables.
  • Kowalski675
    Are you buying new pedals? I remember you saying you liked the Saints, and they're at a v good price on CRC currently.
  • rockmonkeysc
    No, i'm using my XT spd pedals on this bike. I have Saint flats on my Scalp.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Almost finished and it looks really nice. Heavier than my old Anthem but that's to be expected. Should end up around 30lb.
    I'm glad I went for an XL 20" frame, the large 18.5" frame would need a 430mm seat post for proper pedalling height.
    Photos will be posted when it's all finished.
  • Kowalski675
    No, i'm using my XT spd pedals on this bike. I have Saint flats on my Scalp.

no worries, just thought I'd give you a heads up.
  • *AJ*
    Almost finished and it looks really nice. Heavier than my old Anthem but that's to be expected. Should end up around 30lb.
    I'm glad I went for an XL 20" frame, the large 18.5" frame would need a 430mm seat post for proper pedalling height.
    Photos will be posted when it's all finished.

How tall are you?
  • rockmonkeysc
    6'1"
    I found my 20" anthem barely large enough with a 375 seat post at full extension and a 100mm stem.
  • *AJ*
    6'1"
    I found my 20" anthem barely large enough with a 375 seat post at full extension and a 100mm stem.

Interesting! Im 6 foot 2 and ride a medium mega, but i am short in the leg so its not too bad, maybe just need a little bit bigger.

I don't think id want a 20" frame though would be too big for chucking about, guess you have the big bike for that though.

I'm tempted by one of these now they've come down in price. I just don't know which would be best for me, the AM or TR. I will mostly be riding trails, albeit aggressively and maybe a bit of DH at the likes of Stile cop etc but I'm also heavy (16.5 stone).

The fact the newer ones are longer in the top tube and shorter in the chainstay is what is tempting me over! that and the fact the large would fit me better than the current medium and hopefully the shock would be a bit better too!

Be interested to see how you get on with this. :mrgreen:

Edit: Also whats the crack with the rear wheel spacing? it says 142 x 12 and 135 x 12? Can you convert 135 hubs with a spacer or something? Or do they over charge you for new drop outs?....
  • rockmonkeysc
    It comes with 142x12 drop outs but you can get 135x12.
    The riding position of the xl mega is very close to my large Scalp, 10mm difference from centre of bb to centre of bars and near identical centre of saddle to centre of bars.
    I find I can ride much faster on a larger bike than a small one.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I find I can ride much faster on a larger bike than a small one.

Very much this! A lot more stable and more room to move around. That's one thing that really annoys me on so many bikes these days, they look awesome and seemingly fit all the requirements only to find the toptube's are too short and you have to go a size up, which for me isn't ideal cos I've got short legs and a long torso. Looking forward to seeing this finished, a mate is considering one of these to replace his old reign.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Please excuse the untidy workshop and poor lighting!
    1424460_10201933637295861_190528820_n.jpg

Finished (sort of)! Just needs a front mech cable, I ran out of cable outer to make it and I need to add 2 kilo's of heli tape. I had a quick spin around the lanes and it feels proper good. Slack head angle feels odd after the Anthem. Suspension feels good and it pedals really well.
    Can't wait for a bash around the Quantocks this weekend :D
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My mate has one and I pedalled it along a short section of track and up a hill and even with me in flats and using his spd pedals it felt a nice bike to ride, planted yet keen to go and get air. Bit of a beast uphill on his 1x11 gearing I found then but would probably do better now on it!

Should imagine that vs the anthem that will be a bit chalk and cheese! Have fun on Hodders, I love Hodders.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.