105 groupset upgrade

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm looking at an upgrade for a disc CX bike to use a complete 105 set (speaking of which: how can the ENTIRE groupset be cheaper than just the shifters and front chainset?)

The main question I have is: can the 105 triple shifters work with disc brakes? I don't know of any issues with using the shifters but I'd like to make sure.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• I see no reason why not - provided you have road-specific disc brakes. I fitted 105 to my Boardman CX with BB7 on the front and BB5 on the rear and it worked fine. That Groupset was Compact but I'm sure will have the same brake pulls as Triple.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'm running 105 shifters with BB7 brakes, works a treat. I bought an entire groupset from Ribble very cheap, should sell the brakes at some point I suppose.
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    I am running 105 shifters with TRP HY/RD disc brakes with no problem.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Andy_S_T wrote:

That on the Whyte? Nice looking bike, shame its over my CS limit
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    What they said. I had triple 105 shifters and Road BB7s for a bit, and it worked fine (apart from my brain, which is hard-wired to SRAM, struggling to operate the shifters correctly).

I actually think the BB7s are slightly better matched to SRAM than to Shimano (I'm guessing a very slightly different pull ratio), but it's a fairly subtle distinction.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    BB7 (avid) are made by SRAM, hence the 100% suitability.

They will work fine with your girly triple.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I was genuinely thinking of getting the 2014 model of the Tricross sport disc and upgrading that, but I reckon I should swap out the SRAM set on the Felt instead.

Otherwise I would have 3 CX bikes and even by the standards of this forum, that's just daft.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Otherwise I would have 3 CX bikes and even by the standards of this forum, that's just daft.
    Not at all, if you have a CX commuter it makes perfect sense:
    1. Race bike
    2. Training/pit bike
    3. Commuting bike (w/mudguards, rack etc)

I know one guy who used to have separate training and pit bikes (presumably so he didn't have to worry about trashing his pit bike during the week); that could take you to four...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe wrote:

I actually thought my BB7/5 felt better with 105 than the equivalent SRAM that were shipped with the Boardman - I think the 105 levers are stiffer
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    leodis75 wrote:
    Andy_S_T wrote:

That on the Whyte? Nice looking bike, shame its over my CS limit
    I had a test ride on a Whyte cross bike. The rear disc caliper is inside the rear triangle which caused MASSIVE heel strike problems for me. Pity, because I liked the look of it.
    rubertoe wrote:

I actually thought my BB7/5 felt better with 105 than the equivalent SRAM that were shipped with the Boardman - I think the 105 levers are stiffer
    And MRS likes them stiff.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • TGOTB wrote:
    Not at all, if you have a CX commuter it makes perfect sense:
    1. Race bike
    2. Training/pit bike
    3. Commuting bike (w/mudguards, rack etc)

I know one guy who used to have separate training and pit bikes (presumably so he didn't have to worry about trashing his pit bike during the week); that could take you to four...

Except I have a carbon dura ace / ultegra Madone in the same garage and am thinking about a 29er at the moment.

Plus the old steelie.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X