Cannondale Supersix cracked downtube

bgw1million
bgw1million Posts: 16
edited December 2013 in Road general
Hi All,

Just need some advice on how to proceed?

Just had it confirmed by my LBS that the downtube of my bike has a crack (pictures attached). As you can see from the pictures it is a pretty bad place fail on the frame!

I am the original owner of the bike and purchased it while I was working in Hong Kong. Sadly, I had to return back to the UK 2 years ago and now Cannondale (UK) have said that they will not honour the warranty, but have offered me a replacement frame for a sizable amount of money or return it to the original shop for replacement under warranty.

I could send it back to HK for replacement, but I don't know the implications for duty in shipping back a replacement frame (zero cost to me)?

And I don't want to risk the carbon repair route.

Many thanks,

bgw

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    How much have they offered you?
    It may be worth paying than have the hassle

Matt
  • I take your word for it, because from here it doesn't look like a crack
    left the forum March 2023
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Are you sure that's a crack?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • If it's busted in normal use, Cannondale are risking some bad publicity by not replacing it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    FWIW I recently read an article talking about how carbon frames are easier to fix than steel, aluminum, and titanium.
    See www.calfeedesign.com
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just reinforces my claim that bike warranties are typically worth less than the paper they're written on - more often than not they're a marketing gimmick as the reality is they're empty promises. Warranties are insurance policies taken out by the distributor, so the fact you personally imported the product from elsewhere means you're conveniently excluded.
    Sending a frame to HK will be expensive - probably £100 each way which will be at your cost and likely more than the cost of a repair.
    I'd certainly investigate the repair route, but will likely involve a 'bandage' repair around the outside of the frame, which would involve a partial respray if you want to get back to similar looking condition.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    That looks more like a scrape from the chain than a crack, you sure ??
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • If it's busted in normal use, Cannondale are risking some bad publicity by not replacing it.

Just riding along?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Doesn't look like a crack to me. More, a swipe from the chain.

Also, that'd be a weird place for a frame to crack.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Don't listen to these guys, it's a definite crack. I'll give you a $100 for it.
  • Nothing further from the OP.

I reckon he's given it a wipe with a rag, and is too embarrassed to admit that there was no crack....!
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Why so harsh on the OP? He's already said that he'd taken it to an LBS who have confirmed it's cracked, but because it was purchased "offshore" the warranty may not be recognised. Reckon he was looking for advice from those that find have found themselves in a similar position previously, or whether any other Super Six owners had come across similar frame failures.

Failing that, he probably would have appreciated a little sympathy from his cycling brethren? If that was my frame I would be proper gutted :shock:
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    If it's busted in normal use, Cannondale are risking some bad publicity by not replacing it.
    This...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Why so harsh on the OP? He's already said that he'd taken it to an LBS who have confirmed it's cracked, but because it was purchased "offshore" the warranty may not be recognised. Reckon he was looking for advice from those that find have found themselves in a similar position previously, or whether any other Super Six owners had come across similar frame failures.

Failing that, he probably would have appreciated a little sympathy from his cycling brethren? If that was my frame I would be proper gutted :shock:

Because that doesn't look like a crack
  • asjc
    asjc Posts: 103
    I must admit,saw this a when first posted and I did not think it looked like a crack but if it has been inspected......
    My brother in law had a cannondale frame crack there, after he had driven under a barrier with it on rack on top of the car, he did manage to do this on another bike too, he got it repaired and its a very good repair, scarred but sound.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Why so harsh on the OP? ...

Possibly because of past experiences of first time posters with 'major problems' with their bikes who then either a) never come back or b) it turns out that the problem wasn't the major issue they originally said (search for Speedking's infamous 'Be Warned' thread in which he slates Wiggle about the condition of a purchase which on further investigation proved to be exactly as it should have been).

It may or may not be a structural crack and to be fair the OP isn't moaning too much but as for the comments that it is bad publicity for Canondale I would disagree. You can hardly expect their British division to honour a warranty on a frame purchase in Hong Kong. If they did then everyone would be buying their frames from cheaper countries as the warranty issue is a well-known reason for not buying from overseas.
  • bgw1million,

Whilst agreeing with the comments that say it doesn't look like a crack, why don't you get in touch with Mr Lee at Flying Ball (I'm presuming you bought it from them). He is a really helpful person, and I'm sure he will give you good and fair advice.

Paul
  • Whether it's cracked or not I don't understand why you have to return it to the original store if it's under warranty by Cannondale. I'd consider contacting them directly or the UK Supplier (just reread the OP and sounds like you already have?). Sounds like your LBS are being difficult cos you didn't buy it from them perhaps? Or just downright lazy for having to make a phonecall.

From experience, and having multiple Scott frames and friends who've had them too, a lifetime warranty means lifetime, and I've known Scott to replace frames even after they've been crashed, so I can't understand why Cannondale won't honour it considering the frame warranty for me is a major selling point of some manufacturers.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • They company didn't get their Crack-n-fail nickname for nothing ;-)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That really really looks like oil to me.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Luv2ride wrote:

Because that doesn't look like a crack

But he's taken it to an LBS who has actually seen it rather than just a photo of it and the LBS says it is a crack. It's not the OPs fault that his crack doesn't look like a crack to everyone. I'm sure if he'd known and been able to do something about it, he would have arranged for his crack to look more crack like! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    But he's taken it to an LBS who has actually seen it rather than just a photo of it and the LBS says it is a crack.

Is it? So why he opens a thread with a photo of an alleged crack that does not look like a crack and then does not get involved in the discussion?
    It sounds dodgy to me and if he does not reappear, I will delete the all thread
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Luv2ride wrote:
    If it's busted in normal use, Cannondale are risking some bad publicity by not replacing it.
    This...

Not this. He actually states that Cannondale will replace it under warranty if he goes via the original dealer. That is not the same as saying they will not cover it.

I also suspect that the OP is not giving us ALL the facts.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:
    But he's taken it to an LBS who has actually seen it rather than just a photo of it and the LBS says it is a crack.

Is it? So why he opens a thread with a photo of an alleged crack that does not look like a crack and then does not get involved in the discussion?

Yeah, point taken about the lack of further contribution - plus the single post history.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I would have thought it might be potentially obvious that a lack of update could have meant that the OP was AT WORK!

Embarrassed and disappointed by the reading ability and attitude of some posters.
    Obviously writing this post I fancied getting bitchslapped somewhere other than at home. Ha Ha Ha.

To reiterate folks:
    "Just had it confirmed by my LBS that the downtube of my bike has a crack (pictures attached). As you can see from the pictures it is a pretty bad place fail on the frame!"
    I initially thought it was just chain whipped, perhaps the photo doesn't show the full extent of the 'black mark' that appears to go underneath a frame care sticker on the top of the downtube.
    Rather than having it fail whilst out on the road, I took it to my LBS in the hope that they would say it was just paint damage.

This bike hasn't been on a roof rack so I'm not sure how it could happen (no falls / crashes).

So now here's an update:
    I've been in touch with Flying ball Cycling Co Ltd in HK (C'Dale distributors) along with my LBS (who have been brilliant) and there may be a compromise. The bike is now being sent to Cannondale UK for further investigation.
    If they use a special magic rag and find it is just an oil mark then to be frank I would be over the bloody moon!
    But I doubt they will somehow.
    And although I would feel a very silly billy, I would still have the cojones to post the outcome here!

Anyone else want to suggest that this OP doesn't know the difference between an oil mark and a potential crack?

It was an interesting article on the Carbon repair (many thanks), but for this location I'd rather chase for a replacement.
    Thank you for those who posted constructive and informative replies. I appreciate being part of a helpful community with shared interests.
    bgw
  • Anyone else want to suggest that this OP doesn't know the difference between an oil mark and a potential crack?

I can.

Do you want it now or do you want it in a couple of days time to bring this thread back from the obscurity of page 16...?
  • :?:
    Rolf F wrote:

Having read these latest replies, I'm not convinced I want to reappear here.

ugo.santalucia: How long were you going to give me????? !!!! I have clearly caught the eye of the bike thread police.

I'm afraid I don't have the luxury of sitting around all day waiting for responses as they come in, neither can I get responses from companies instantly, even if that makes me look "dodgy" to some people. Really not interested in having to 'defend' myself against being deleted.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    How was the bike shipped HK to UK ?
  • Whether it's cracked or not I don't understand why you have to return it to the original store if it's under warranty by Cannondale. I'd consider contacting them directly or the UK Supplier (just reread the OP and sounds like you already have?). Sounds like your LBS are being difficult cos you didn't buy it from them perhaps? Or just downright lazy for having to make a phonecall.

From experience, and having multiple Scott frames and friends who've had them too, a lifetime warranty means lifetime, and I've known Scott to replace frames even after they've been crashed, so I can't understand why Cannondale won't honour it considering the frame warranty for me is a major selling point of some manufacturers.

I agree that a warranty is a warranty! They are all made in Taiwan and then shipped to the US for construction. The LBS are being quite reasonable, but C'Dale UK are not (at present).
  • adamfo wrote:
    How was the bike shipped HK to UK ?

I brought it back in my bike flight case 2 years ago when we returned to the UK. I took out my Giant TCR to HK and sold it when I bought the C'dale.