Garmin 800 rubber seals

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited November 2013 in Workshop
The little rubber seals that cover the USB and card slot ports on the Garmin 800 are rubbish, they are a loose fit and difficult to get to stay in properly. Even when they are in properly they let moisture through, which is a problem if you are regularly sweating profusely on the unit during turbo sessions. I have already killed one unit by sweating on it and then connecting the USB lead (fortunately replaced under warranty), and don't want to do it again.

Wondering if anyone has tried using some sort of grease or other type of sealant on the rubber bits to make them stick better and also resist moisture, or if this would just make the situation worse by reducing friction.

Alternatively, I notice that silicone covers are available - some of these have a big hole where the ports are, but perhaps others don't and would provide protection, e.g. this one? Difficult to tell from the photo whether it lacks a hole or if it is just the angle of the photo that makes it look as if it does...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-800-silicone-protective-case/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360461752

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    er - on a turbo session - put the computer somewhere else ... or wrap it in clingfilm ... or put it in a placcy bag ...

My 800 lasted 18 months of outside use in all weathers before the buttons succumbed to the damp and corroded the contacts. :(
  • I have that garmin silicone cover. It has two flaps that fit into the holes. Seems a good seal to me.
  • neeb
    I've sometimes had it in a plastic bag, but it's a real hassle to do that every time, and wrinkles/reflections make the display harder to read. I need the display in front of me to keep the power at a constant level.

I read somewhere that it doesn't actually matter if the contacts get a little damp, as long as they are dry before you try to connect the garmin to a usb port. So now I blast the contacts with a hair dryer for 30 secs before connecting it after a session.. There has to be a better way...
  • neeb
    I have that garmin silicone cover. It has two flaps that fit into the holes. Seems a good seal to me.
    Do you mean that it has flaps that replace the ones that are fitted to the Garmin as standard? So do you remove the standard flaps before fitting the cover? (they are attached with two little screws, so this would be possible).
  • What about using one of these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview- ... ter-mount/

To take the garmin off the stem, where you are likely to sweat on it
  • neeb wrote:
    I have that garmin silicone cover. It has two flaps that fit into the holes. Seems a good seal to me.
    Do you mean that it has flaps that replace the ones that are fitted to the Garmin as standard? So do you remove the standard flaps before fitting the cover? (they are attached with two little screws, so this would be possible).
    Correct. Flaps held up with pen to show you.

8e40eb849713539a7f53b43f3303b9a6.jpg
  • Better picture

22c82db04a2f38382aa1e6f475a1594e.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmm ... are you sure?!

$(KGrHqF,!qsFJgWho7vdBSegz4VQSg~~60_35.JPG

it looks like it uses the covers already attached to the Edge ...