Maximum recommended speed for a road bike?

2»

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    diy wrote:
    I think I'd rather come off at 70 on a motorbike than 40 on a bike though.
    I know what you mean. However, that is probably down to the false sense of security you get when kitted out in full motorcycle gear with all the armour.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I've done about 48mph i recall. And that felt a bit silly.

Having had a dreaded speed wobble at about 35mph once, I am a cautious descender.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Fastest I've ever been was this year on Mallorca. I was on a hired, new full carbon Pinarello. I weigh 90kg and I had a following wind. The computer was showing 110kph before I hit the brakes.
    I just assumed I was going to die. :)
    8680759056_0423969c03_z.jpg
  • I hit 45.5 Mph coming off Ditchling on this years London to Brighton. Never again. Scared the Crap outta me!
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    I did about 40.

worried about wheel wobble due to the imbalance caused by the speed sensor magnet.

Put another magnet on the other side of the wheel to keep it balanced.

It worked well, I go a lot faster now. Climbing has improved too :wink:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Daz555 wrote:
    diy wrote:
    I think I'd rather come off at 70 on a motorbike than 40 on a bike though.
    I know what you mean. However, that is probably down to the false sense of security you get when kitted out in full motorcycle gear with all the armour.

It depends what you hit. If you hit something solid at 40 or 70 the chances of living are pretty small. If you manage to slide to a halt or slower speed before impact then you have a much better chance.

This is a good read: http://www.helibikes.co.uk/anatomyofmotorcy.html

I would say the avg. road bike is pretty close to design limit at about 45mph. Obviously mileage may vary.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My fastest speed this year was 49.3mph, Cadence was around about 130 in the 53/11 gear, it wasn't the steepest of hills, but there was a silly tailwind..... I've never broken the 50mph barrier, I've tried a few times but failed, and I usually descend faster than most; weighing just shy of 100kg helps.

http://www.strava.com/segments/3236898

In reality, I seriously doubt most cyclists have ever gone faster than 50mph, you run out of gears (unless running a stupid front chainring) to be able to pedal safely at that sort of speed, and you'd need a hell of a long straight descent to freewheel faster than 50mph, unless on a closed road, I doubt most would have the balls to corner a blind open road at more than 40mph (and even 40mph is silly fast for a blind corner on open road).

Nah, 50 is easy with the right conditions (long, straight, decent surface, no headwind). You can get yourself up into the 40's, get in a nice tuck then give a few short blasts to get up to 50. Admittedly there aren't that many hills where this is that easy in the UK, but I managed 51mph in Wales last month and could've gone a lot faster had a realised what a perfect descent it was earlier (ran out of road in the end). That was on a compact as well (50/11).
  • This is definitely a suck it & see thing. Some don't like descending, some do. When I first stsrted riding I got really freaked by the sheer speed I built up on descents & I was always braking. I probably wasn't even going too quick, but it certainly gave me the fear! Nowadays it is a totally different story. The difference is that I now have complete confidence in my ability in riding a bike & my bike handling skills. It certainly comes with lots of riding & a positive attitude. I basically refused to let descending be a mental obstacle & the more I rode the easier it became.

Anyway, you have to just go for it to see how much spped you are comfortable handling. The quickest I have been in the UK is on this tears Etape du Dales on the very nice Turf Moor descent whete I clocked 49mph. Then in August I managed to get to 53mph descending Col D'Izoard in France. I was pretty comfy at that speed, but always in the back of your mind somewhere is "If I come off now, it's gonna be messy", or if in France "If I come off now, it's gonna be expensive! "
  • bluefinch wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Wow, great clip. I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it...but I never expected that :)

It's a good job he was wearing his special protective wellies

Don't forget his quality (and well fitted) helmet!
  • I live in the Peak District... and there are some nice long steep hills that are straight. I've done a max of 52 mph on a hill that's about 3/4 mile long - good tail wind helped! Quite regularly touch 50 mph on Cromford hill before breaking for the nasty anti cambered bend... Its 1 in 10 - 1in 8.

Don't do this when its wet!!

chris
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    … I usually descend faster than most; weighing just shy of 100kg helps …
    In reality, I seriously doubt most cyclists have ever gone faster than 50mph, you run out of gears … to be able to pedal safely at that sort of speed, and you'd need a hell of a long straight descent to freewheel faster than 50mph
    You don’t need that long a straight and if there is sufficient gradient and you tuck yourself in, when you reach about 35 mph you don’t need to pedal any more. And aerodynamics is more important/helpful than weight - well certainly between riders say up to 20-25 kg difference in weight. Maybe for greater differences, weight becomes more significant.

Near where I live, there’s a road up and over a hill. After the crest, there’s about 300 yards practically flat, then the road takes a slow right turn and drops straight for 650 yards at 10%, before easing off to a milder slope. If I enter the 10% with a bit of speed from the short level stretch, by the time I come out of the 10% I am between always 40-55 mph, depending on how much I bother tucking in and on whether there is any headwind or not.

But I don’t really advise anyone to speed until they know how to descend and are comfortable with descending. Even on less technical, empty, long straights, you still need to know exactly what you’re doing just in case there’s a sudden strong side wind, an unanticipated uneven patch of road, or a rabbit or a deer or the wild man of the woods leaps out in front of you, not to mention any bike problems.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    If you want to go fast (60 mph and above) you need
    1) Tubular tyre that don't blow up and kill you, possibly inflated at medium pressure
    2) Balanced wheels that can spin at that rpm
    3) A perfect frame and a solid set of forks
    People have reached speed in excess of 100 mph on a bike, just look on wikipedia
    A sufficiently rigid frame is very important (as the video below shows). I wonder what bike he was on (his 'buddy Mark' is on a Cervelo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bjVz1RQaKqE#t=14