Press fit bottom brackets

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Is it worth getting the tools to change this myself or just get a shop to do it?

I like to do all my own bike maintenance but the cost of the tools needed for this and the little use they'll get is putting me off! unless anyone knows of any cheap/homemade ways to do this?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    If you already have a headset press then you just need the spacers.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Looking at the Shimano tool on the Wiggle website, you could possibly make your own version using a length of 150mm M10/M12 threaded bar, matching large diameter repair washers, full hex nuts and a combination of 1/2" or 3/4" square drive sockets that match the inside and outside diameter of the BB you want to fit.

Bear in mind that pressure can only be applied to the outer most diameter of the bearing retainers or damage to the bearings can occur, that is Shimano's recommendation for their BB. You can also use the jaws of a bench vise with adaptors, if you have one. Info taken from Shimano Technical Service Instruction SI-0053A-001. If you are using another brand of press fit BB consult with the manufacturer for fitting procedure.
  • dj58
    trailflow

That is exactly the type of tool I had in mind. The components can be purchased from an engineers supplier e.g. FWB or hardware shop for very little cost.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    so is it just a case of hitting the old one out and them pressing the new one in as far as it'll go? or is it more complicated than that?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chris Bass wrote:
    so is it just a case of hitting the old one out and them pressing the new one in as far as it'll go? or is it more complicated than that?

Nope, I think you've covered all the basics. Maybe make a note or better still take photos of what the current one looks like before removal.
    My CR1-SL came with a Shimano press-fit BB installed by Scott and there was a fair bit of luminous coloured goo in evidence, possibly grease* of some kind, or maybe carbon assembly compound but without the bits in it? Definitely not Loctite.

*although elsewhere in their literature Scott suggest you shouldn't use grease when assembling a carbon frame
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    My lbs charge £10 to remove and fit a pressfit BB, I'm not going to spend a small fortune on tools when I can get someone to do it for a tenner.
  • dj58
    Chris Bass

Have a look at the You Tube video on

http://www.parktools.com From the menu on the homepage select Tools, from the drop down menu select Bottom Bracket, on that page locate the photo for the "Bottom Bracket Tool Set for BB30 and PF30" double click on the image, that will open a new page with the tool details and the video clip.

Shows how to remove and fit BB30/PF30 type. Park do a more basic type of headset bearing cup press tool which they say can be used to press BB30 and BB90(BB86/BB92) press fit BB's. Part No. HHP-3
  • Chris Bass wrote:

I was faced with the same problem.I phoned round a few local bike shops to ask if they would replace my press-fit bottom brackets and was met with various levels of complete ignorance.
    I eventually spoke to someone who told me how to remove the old bearing - try gently tapping the bearing using a length of wood from the opposite side. I was obviously a bit dubious, but thought it might be worth a try. Sure enough, working around the edge the bearing eased out nicely.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Do you have to support the BB shell in some way when tapping the bearings out? If so, how? Or is it something you can do with the bike upright or in a workstand?