campag and shimano - interchangeable wheels ?

maltloaf_df
maltloaf_df Posts: 118
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a Claud Butler with an 8 speed triple shimano system on it, which I think is a 2200. I also own an 8+ year old simoncini road bike which sports 8 speed campag mirage, which long since bit the dust since it has frame damage.

I was looking to purchase a spare rear wheel for my cb to use it on a turbo trainer when I remembered the campag hubbed wheels in my shed. Tried it and to my complete shock it actually runs better than the shimano one it came with. All 8 gears straight in, no adjustment !

To make a long story even longer and fast forward to today, I now have another new bike, a pinnacle dolomite 4 with 10 speed Tiagra group set.

My question is this, is there any chance whatsoever that my same 8 speed campag hubbed wheel could be upgraded to a 10 speed cassette (presumably it would have to be campag) and work with my new bike ? Which cassette would I need?

Thanks for reading, I know it was a bit of a drag.

Cheers,

Malty

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fitting a 10 speed Shimano cassette on an 8 speed Campagnolo wheel is impossible, and any fix would be very difficult. Your best choice would be to have the old wheel rebuilt with a new hub.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What I meant was will a 10 speed campag cassette on that campag hubbed wheel which was formerly 8 speed campag running fine with a shimano system run fine on my 10 speed shimano tiagra setup.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Some (but not all) 8 speed Campag hubs can have their freehub swapped to a 9/10/11 but you'd need a donor hub. It's not worth doing for a Mirage level hub.

In any case, 10 speed Campag will not run well with 10 speed Shimano. The spacing is not close enough.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think there is a wheels manufacturing spacer kit which respaces the campag cogs to shimano spacing. I am sure I saw it today in the catalogue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Thanks guys, my best bet is to buy a complete 10 speed wheel and cassette for use on the trainer then.

Would I be able to put a 10 speed cassette on my existing Claud Butler wheel ?
  • Just to close this thread off, my 10 speed Tiagra cassette does indeed fit and function completely fine on my Claud butler (formerly 8 speed) wheel
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Glad to hear it, but that's not actually what asked in your OP.
  • No but it was what I asked I when I decided the campag option was a non starter.