Cold hands and feet

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,911
edited November 2013 in Road general
My resting heart rate is around 40, and I find my hands and feet get cold really easily, which is obviously not ideal at this time of year. I'm guessing a lot of folks here have a similarly low pulse, so are cold extremities a natural consequence of that or is there a circulation problem?

Comments

• Smells like a thinly veiled brag about how fit you are/how low your pulse rate is...

I know this sounds crazy but have you ever thought of using gloves and overshoes? Or eating more pies, maybe?

On the qustion of whether there's a circulation problem, would it not be better to ask your GP rather than a bike forum?
  • Also having a few more layers on your core will help keep your hands and feet warm as the blood won't be needed to keep your centre warm and can continue heating your extremities.
  • Smells like a thinly veiled brag about how fit you are/how low your pulse rate is...

I know this sounds crazy but have you ever thought of using gloves and overshoes? Or eating more pies, maybe?

On the qustion of whether there's a circulation problem, would it not be better to ask your GP rather than a bike forum?

great feedback.

we have Doctors and cycle superstores, lets close the forum. Its obviously not needed. :roll:
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Circulation problem would be my best guess. I grew up in the south of the US so am used to heat most of my life. Any time the weather gets below 10 degrees I suffer, especially in my hands.
  • phreak
    Smells like a thinly veiled brag about how fit you are/how low your pulse rate is...

great feedback.

we have Doctors and cycle superstores, lets close the forum. Its obviously not needed. :roll:

Quite. I do use overshoes and have winter gloves but they don't seem to do the trick. I am planning on visiting a GP about it to ask their opinion but I figured this probably isn't that obscure so maybe other cyclists have suffered from it as well.

Doing a ride in the summer up and down the Stelvio so would like to understand things a bit better in order for the descent to be safe and enjoyable given that it's likely to be pretty cold.
  • RHR 0

Does that mean I'm dead?
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    the internet diagnoses you with this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    @b...yup

I don't think it's necessarily a problem for those with low RHM. I've had issues connected with poor circulation for many years. As a runner I was getting white finger a lot and for the first year of riding. I think it's just blood being diverted to where it is needed most which tends to be away from fingers and toes.

I seem to have got it pretty much under control now through what I wear. Which is long sleeved merino base layer, winter weight jersey over and if needed, wind and shower proof top over bib tights, with under socks, sealskinz and overshoes if needed. And spesh below zero gloves of which I generally only wear the base bit. Having been riding in pretty cold weather for the last two winters and been surprisingly snug
  • phreak
    Something to ask the GP, thanks. Will try getting some slightly chunkier socks. Also thinking about adding these alongside the winter gloves I already have. Anyone any experience with them?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-roubaix-liner-glove/
  • I wear Silk inner gloves (£7) - they help.

If it's a real emergency then I'll wear the latex gloves that I keep in the on bike tool kit - they keep my hands toasty at the expense of sweat.

I add another layer between my shoes and neoprene overshoes .. corner of a plastic bag over the toes and part of the shoe.

I do keep the rest of my body warm but still suffer cold hands/feet - better kit is ultimately the true answer but I just can't afford it at the moment.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • phreak
    Thanks Keiran. I suppose with all of these kind of things it's a trade off between warmth and dexterity.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    edited November 2013
    This works for me and I get cold very easily.

Velcro shoes - but leave front strap relatively loose to aid circulation.
    Smartwool PHD Hiking Socks
    Thin Prendas oversocks followed by thick neoprene overshoes. I found the two layers of overshoe make a massive difference.

On my hands I wear quality goretex lined insulated ski gloves - very warm, OK for braking and gear changing but you have to hold your water bottle carefully and getting at things in your back pockets is not going to happen. It's a trade off between dexterity and warmth, you just need to decide what's more important to you.
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    I get the same, even this morning on the Turbo in the garage (detached) - minus 3, my hands and feet were in agony - particulalry when I stop and come back into the warm.

It's not elegant, but I've used a bit of tinfoil round my toes when riding outside in the cold and it worked well.
  • Garryboy wrote:
    I get the same, even this morning on the Turbo in the garage (detached) - minus 3, my hands and feet were in agony - particulalry when I stop and come back into the warm.

That sounds like chill blaines.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • I think chillblains are when you heat up a cold part of your body too quickly* I sometimes get something close to them if I have a hot shower after a cold ride. It's a different kind of pain (not particularly painful for a start but weirdly itchy).

If I get seriously cold hands\feet on a ride (to the point where it hurts) then I know I will have to go through it all again when I warm them up. In the worst cases it feels like some one has hit my fingers with a hammer. Hence I will use the latex gloves before they get too cold and not give a damn about the sweat.

* http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/chilblains/Pages/Introduction.aspx

strava profile
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I got chilblains for the first time last year and they're back already, I don't know why I've started to get them because I've covered up with the same level of clothing for years and I don't feel the cold that easily. Some of my toes go red and itchy and they're bloody painful, if you catch one it can bring tears to your eyes.
  • OK it's a real long shot but that NHS link talks about Chilblains can also occur on areas of the feet that are exposed to pressure, such as a bunion or a toe that is squeezed by tight shoes .. your not wearing thicker socks or different shoes from before you got them?

strava profile
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Big mistake today, back from ride and put feet in hot bath... Ouch
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    bunter wrote:
    the internet diagnoses you with this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

I have this, it affects my feet worse than hands. Do your fingers/feet go white and numb? You can take medication to alleviate it which I did for one winter when I got bad chilblains but now just manage it by wearing shoes with well insulated soles and hiking socks through winter. For cycling I get by using normal cycling shoes and disposable chemical footwarmers like ToastiToes along with toe covers (Endura ones are good) in current conditions or thick neoprene overshoes in the depths of winter.

Hands I've never fully solved but (unlike my feet) they tend to warm up again after going cold for a bit, though that can be a painful process - currently using Castelli Estremo gloves which I like. Might invest in some lobsters this year. I have cheap battery heated gloves I got from Clas Ohlson for the MTB where my hands suffer a lot more because I can't shield them behind the drops/hoods. They are very, very warm but are way too bulky for a road bike, could use them for falconry though.