Disc hubs and 11 speed

Kiwi Thor
Kiwi Thor Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I see there are some 2014 model road bikes out there running 11speed cassettes and disc brakes.

These seem to use MTB hubs which are just 10speed compatible? Or are they modified versions of the MTB hub/wheelset? How does this all work when Hope 11speed compatible, Mono RS, hubs have a different shell and rotor body compared to the 10speed Pro3? Is it just a matter of getting the right hub which happens to work with 11speed?

Comments

• You need an 11 speed compatible one... Novatec makes one, look at the BDOP cycling website
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Chris do one at chris king prices. I do wonder if a DT Swiss 350 or even the 240 can just have a freehub body swap. Miche will make there 11 speed road hub available to, whether chickens will import though is another matter, if they don't I will. Royce will do one too. However come january there will be the Shimano CX 11 speed disc hub. That will be the most available one I think and at uletgra prices.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • However come january there will be the Shimano CX 11 speed disc hub. That will be the most available one I think and at uletgra prices.

Interesting... I suspect it will come with their centrelock system... which I am not a big fan of
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    FH-CX75.jpg

Yes it will be Centrelock. Due into the UK in the next couple of weeks.
  • cycleclinic
    Centre lock offers better heat dissapation so it really is a very good idea for road bikes.

Also Ryde a bringing out new disc only road rims -330g and wide. Arrving in the U.K in January. The above hub will be 28H from memory and the Ryde rims are 28H so there we have a wonderful combination.

Guess what I will start stocking and building.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    That's very interesting. Does Ryde = Rigida? Have you got a link to a press release or something?
  • Centre lock offers better heat dissapation so it really is a very good idea for road bikes.

Also Ryde a bringing out new disc only road rims -330g and wide. Arrving in the U.K in January. The above hub will be 28H from memory and the Ryde rims are 28H so there we have a wonderful combination.

Guess what I will start stocking and building.

There is nothing wrong with Centrelock, except only Shimano use it and nobody wants to use their crappy CX brakes, hence it's an extra cost to get the discs or the adaptors. The heat dissipation is a non issue in a country where 500 mt elevation is considered mountain.

Ryde coming out with a cool rim? I have to see this... :lol: 330 grams seems too light even for a rim with no brake track, will it fall apart like Stan's creations?

Is it the Pulse disc? Looks narrow to me

http://www.ryde.nl/en/high-end
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Chicken cycles has the Pulse Comp disc rim at 17.8mm, so fairly narrow by today's standards.

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.ph ... b=30&ord=0
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    Chicken cycles has the Pulse Comp disc rim at 17.8mm, so fairly narrow by today's standards.

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.ph ... b=30&ord=0

It borders impossible to build a 330 grams 622 C rim wide enough by modern standards that doesn't crack under tension... that said, with a wise use of appropriately customised rim washers many issues can be overcome....

Problem is you have to make your own... the Sapim oval ones, which are the best, don't fit pretty much any rim and need to be individually filed down to < 8 mm width. I did a few recently and for 64 of them I spent about 3 hours... :shock:
    The other Sapim ones, the HM (or H something) are just to small to spread the load evenly and they are virtually useless
  • majormantra
    Looking at the Ryde page above, the Pulse Sprint looks like a more interesting rim actually:

622x18 395 g 24/28/32 23-28mm 120 kg 100 kg
    622x18 400 g 24/28/32 23-28mm 120 kg 100 kg

I presume the higher weight is the offset version. Looks like Chicken isn't doing the 24h version, and it's £71.99 retail, but still...
  • Looking at the Ryde page above, the Pulse Sprint looks like a more interesting rim actually:

622x18 395 g 24/28/32 23-28mm 120 kg 100 kg
    622x18 400 g 24/28/32 23-28mm 120 kg 100 kg

I presume the higher weight is the offset version. Looks like Chicken isn't doing the 24h version, and it's £71.99 retail, but still...

If they start making rims that people might want to buy, it can only be a good thing... so far I have used some Sputnik, which as anchors for a small sailing boat could be quite effective
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the 17.8mm is the internal width by the looks of it - the website isn't clear. That would put the external width at maybe 23mm-ish, which isn't too bad. Archetypes are, what, 23mm?

But the weight is an issue - 330g sounds good but is it too light?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    But the weight is an issue - 330g sounds good but is it too light?

Well, the Stan's 340 is not wide and it's made of cheese and it cracks just like mature cheddar. In the days, they used to make very light box type rims, under 400 grams and they were all shxte by modern standards. They only stayed together as they were drilled at 36 and built for wheels with little dish, hence low tension was OK
  • majormantra
    I would tend to think too light too, perhaps they'll be rated for max 45psi or something.

Of course being a disc rim you won't have to worry about rim wear, but your rim might explode anyway. :)

Has anyone got more details on the Shimano hub shown above?
  • I would tend to think too light too, perhaps they'll be rated for max 45psi or something.

Of course being a disc rim you won't have to worry about rim wear, but your rim might explode anyway. :)

Has anyone got more details on the Shimano hub shown above?

Seems to come only as 28 holes, priced a bit higher than the road version, but cheaper than Hope and pricier than Novatec... probably on pair with the Goldtec.
    I do love Shimano hubs, but I wish they were a bit less stingy with their spares policy. WIth Novatec I can get every single component as a replacement part... down to the ratchet ring, hub caps, axle, spare pawls, everything... with Shimano is a bit more of a drag, but that might be Madison's fault
  • majormantra
    Actually I see it's already listed on a few sites, e.g.:

http://www.veloplus.ch/AlleMarken/Shima ... QRBox.aspx
  • cycleclinic
    I red the width to be internal too. They claim a rider weight limit of 100kg. Testing will revel if it holds together but the weight might be lie that is not unknown is it now.
  • but the weight might be lie that is not unknown is it now.
    :roll:

Anyway... the 330 grams is narrow (15 internal), the wider one is 400 grams, but it's not a disc specific rim.
    I don't see that happening, meaning they have to spend money to change the perception people have of Ryde/Rigida = rims for bearded tourers on a tandem with a dynamo hub.
  • cycleclinic
    yes I got mixed up. MTBer already know Ryde as making higher end light MTB rims so no image problem there for me at least.

As for the rim weight I think it is plausible as a 29er velocity Blunt SL rim (wide and tough enough for XC) is 440g. So 100g less for a narrower road rim does not seem unrealistic.
  • yes I got mixed up. MTBer already know Ryde as making higher end light MTB rims so no image problem there for me at least.

As for the rim weight I think it is plausible as a 29er velocity Blunt SL rim (wide and tough enough for XC) is 440g. So 100g less for a narrower road rim does not seem unrealistic.

Velocity tends to massage rim weights... I have a set of Blunt 35 here (26 inch) and they are not light
  • cycleclinic
    Yes they do a bit but we are all guessing about a rim that no one has seen yet. In January I will buy some and report back.
  • You need an 11 speed compatible one... Novatec makes one, look at the BDOP cycling website

Do you know anywhere I can get the Novatec hubs in the UK?
    Nil Points
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    You need an 11 speed compatible one... Novatec makes one, look at the BDOP cycling website

Do you know anywhere I can get the Novatec hubs in the UK?

BDOP cycling get them to your door in 7 days, why would you want the nasty unbranded ones that land "officially" in the UK?
    All those I have seen in the UK are only 10 speed compatible, not 11
  • After I posted last night I found Cycle Clinics' Ebay shop and he has them on there.

BDOP for a pair $210 (£125) + shipping and any tax and charges this end

Cycle Clinic £95 including postage

I'll go unbranded if it saves me £30 + postage and tax.
    Nil Points
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    There is no charge on BDOP packages.
    Those come with the anti bite guard, which does help to prevent splines biting. I find the UK ones have a lot of drag, possibly due to the different end caps design as the bearings and all the internals are the same