New 'commuter' bike

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
When we are at our parent companies site (which is huge) I get fed up with waiting around for transport to get across site, finally got the boss to approve a bike (ideal for the purpose!).

Lugged frame, lugged forks, lashings of chrome - including on the rims, rod brakes and a thick deep black colour scheme, single speed mind you and cottered cranks!

When in Rome - or in this case India..... http://www.herocycles.com/jetplus2.htm

What a laugh, the riding experience is a hoot although it's ruddy hard work and probably weighs more than my 2 steel framed bikes put together, downhill it's awesome although with the negative stem length (with the backturned bars) the steering is 'interesting' and certainly not designed for one hand at speed, although I did pass a few scooters riding back from the shop to plant, and where do I find a pump for a woods valve?

Have a guess at the price (GBP -£)......
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nice,

Its going to be silly expensive. I reckon £1300.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • The Rookie
    No way would my boss have approved that much (although he's a keen cyclist and will use it as well).......in fact no-where near!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Well its closer to £130 then.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    BRAKES: Curved front stirrup for better spring effect & better breaking with moulded grey synthetic rubber shoes.
    :shock: Would it stop going downhill in the rain?
    Price, I reckon more like £20 if that. I think I have a woods valve pump, it came attached to the EPO's station hack.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    That COMFO saddle looks great :lol:

Price wise I say £60.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    "Moulded tube with a special feature of easy to maintain valve body."
    Anyone know whether you can buy these separately? Would be awesome to cut down the amount of time I spend maintaining my valves...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • £70 ...
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I reckon £10. I rode something similar in India, the best way to maintain any speed is to get into an Obree style tuck over the bars.
  • The Rookie
    Brand new £40 including guards and rack and saddle (don't come on a bike over here)

And yes you find yourself in a tuck with the stem top almost in your stomach and your elbows pointing back like chicken wings....fortunately it only rains for about 2 months a year!
  • I'm going for £28, I think it's worth it.

Edit, too late. You were done, mind :)