Knog Skink rear light.

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited December 2013 in Road beginners
I am putting this query in the 'beginners' section as I think that's where I should be.

Just stay with me - please.

I have had the Knog Skink front and rear lights for about 5/6 years now and have had no complaints other than some water ingress meant I had to get a new rear.

I usually change batteries as I perceive the light is dimming. I started to do this today on the rear one when I noticed that if the light is attached with the on/off button at the top then the LED's shine down and towards the pavement. Reversing it and having the button on the bottom would mean that the light would be horizontal - due to the angle of the seat post - and shine into the traffic, which would surely have a better effect re protection.

Drum roll, here comes the question, Is there a right/wrong way to fit the light?, if so which is it?.

Comments

• majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    They're supposed to be roughly horizontal I think. The angle is to compensate for the angle of the seat post.

FWIW, I had a Skink once. It died after about 2 wet rides, totally useless.
  • plowmar
    Thanks, obviously had it upside down - perhaps why i've only had one wet problem.

No problem after riding a whole day in rain.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Yes, but didn't you just say your first one died? :)
  • plowmar
    yes that was the 'wet problem' - it wouldni switch off, stopped by taking batteries out but when switched on again it wouldnt switch off. just binned it and got another.

no problem since despite the one day in the rain ride.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    plowmar wrote:
    yes that was the 'wet problem' - it wouldni switch off, stopped by taking batteries out but when switched on again it wouldnt switch off. just binned it and got another.

no problem since despite the one day in the rain ride.

My knog, although looks like it should be waterproof but only lasted one winter season due to water ingress, as for fitting i had the switches at the top, i found them a bit faffy to use, just bought a Cateye sems much better
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • plowmar
    I'm sure that there are easier ones to use but I've been able to switch the rear one on without stopping.

Rear light now the other way round with switch on bottom, giving a far better lighted rear.

of the bike.