8 speed to 10 speed.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited November 2013 in Workshop
Hi, I have converted my road bike to TT duties by fitting aero bars with dura ace gear shifters on the ends which are 10 speed. At present I am using shimano 2300 8 speed every thing else and it runs fine.
I would like to run a 10 speed cassette and run the bike as a 10 speed.I know the gear changers on handle bars will be ok and I think the front mech will be ok as will the chain rings (is this the case?).

So what do I need to change to run 10 speed,as I can only think of the rear mech and cassette.
thanks.

The reason I want to do this is because I can use the wheels from my best bike which is 10 speed for doing my 10 mile TT,s.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    you need 10 speed sti/shifters to be able to select 10 gears and a 10 speed chain to mesh with the cassette
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    chain and the front mech could do with a change but will work but might be tricky to run as smoth as you want as the chain required for the 10spd mech is thinner.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • elderone
    smidsy wrote:
    you need 10 speed sti/shifters to be able to select 10 gears and a 10 speed chain to mesh with the cassette
    Thanks, but the shifters for the gears and chain set are already 10 speed but set up to run 8 speed.
    IMG_20131008_160340_zpsddb8a1b4.jpg
    hope pic explains it better :D
    So would the 10 speed chain be ok on the front chain rings ?

nicklouse, why would front mech need changing as it works fine on the chain rings fitted or is it purely because 10 speed is thinner. So does the rear mech which is 8 speed need changing as you both seem to have not mentioned it.
    tks.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Mechs are not THAT speed specific as there are no spacing issues. The speed is all controlled by the STI levers (number of clicks and amount of pull) so the limiting factor is really the space between each sprocket on the cassette, which requires a certain amount of cable pull to make the chain move the required amount and then the thickness of the chain to fit over the sprockets without fouling the one either side.

So to summarise you will get it to work 10 speed as long as you have 10 speed chain, cassette and shifters.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • What chainset are you using? As sometimes bikes come with 9 / 10 speed compatible rings even if they are running 8sp on the back
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I was just about to ask this question as i might be upgrading the wifes 2011 Allez which has 8 speed 2300 also.

Other than say going to 10sp 105 shifters/cassette/chain I take it SRAM Apex or Rival would equally work ok with the stock 2300 chainset and derailleurs?

I was thinking of changing the chainset to a compact but a 12-27 cassette gives me the same ratio bottom end wise as a 50/34 with a 12-25, saves some cash i suppose.

Thanks.
    Cheers, Stu
  • The only problem you will have is SRAM levers will not work with Shimano derailleurs.
  • elderone
    smidsy wrote:

So to summarise you will get it to work 10 speed as long as you have 10 speed chain, cassette and shifters.
    Cheers, the shifters are definitely 10 speed so chain and cassette no problem.

Also the chain ring is just a shimano sora 8 speed compact.