Mavic askum

chrisash86
chrisash86 Posts: 34
edited November 2013 in Workshop
My rear mavic askum wheel has some loose spokes I tried to tighten them up but to no avail, can anybody help? there also bladed spokes

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    You need to hold the bladed spoke to stop it turning while tightening the nipple.
    I used a piece of wood with a slot sawn in it to hold the spoke without damaging the finish.
    A drop of light oil on the thread might be needed too.
    Also a very good fitting spoke key so you don't round the nipple off.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Mavic Ksyriums and Aksiums are famous for seized nipples. Bullet proof though - I bet despite the loose spokes, they are still true.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Aksiums are a poor choice for heavy riders. the very slack radially laced off side rear spokes will not hold a rider over 100kg. I suspect they will be good wheels (and relatively cheap) if you are lighter.
  • chrisgal
    chrisgal Posts: 130
    taon24 wrote:
    Aksiums are a poor choice for heavy riders. the very slack radially laced off side rear spokes will not hold a rider over 100kg. I suspect they will be good wheels (and relatively cheap) if you are lighter.

Well I'm over 100kg and have never had any issues, so I'm not sure what you're saying is entirely correct.
  • pinno
    chrisgal wrote:
    taon24 wrote:

Well I'm over 100kg and have never had any issues, so I'm not sure what you're saying is entirely correct.

Inclined to agree. I had a pair of Ksyriums and they were a harsh ride for my weight - sub 70kg bracket and my bigger friends and fellow forumites love them.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    chrisgal wrote:
    taon24 wrote:

Inclined to agree. I had a pair of Ksyriums and they were a harsh ride for my weight - sub 70kg bracket and my bigger friends and fellow forumites love them.

Its not that they will break imediately just they are more prone to failure and will not last as long for a 100kg plus rider. This is due to weight, the additional power a 100kg will put through the wheels and the increased impact damage on rough roads. If you don't do alot of milage and ride on smooth roads you probably wouldn't notice as much.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    My Aksiums went out of true due to the under tensioned NDS spokes. Building wheels with such low tensions on NDS (800N), due to radial spoking, is a good way of ensuring heavier riders damage the wheels. I think some of the kysriums have the opposite (radial drive side spoking), which would likely be better for heavier riders.
  • taon24 wrote:
    My Aksiums went out of true due to the under tensioned NDS spokes. Building wheels with such low tensions on NDS (800N), due to radial spoking, is a good way of ensuring heavier riders damage the wheels. I think some of the kysriums have the opposite (radial drive side spoking), which would likely be better for heavier riders.

Nothing in this post makes much sense.... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • pinno
    taon24 wrote:

Nothing in this post makes much sense.... :roll:

I think taon24 was trying to compare the build of Aksiums with Ksyriums.

Slightly off topic... BTW Ugo, is that a pic from that retro race thingy in Italy and did you personally spank the naughty helmet boys in 'Campaign'?
  • Slightly off topic... BTW Ugo, is that a pic from that retro race thingy in Italy and did you personally spank the naughty helmet boys in 'Campaign'?

That's a photo from a retro-criterium race in Belgium.

I did personally spank them, yes...
    left the forum March 2023
  • chrisgal wrote:
    taon24 wrote:

I'm 95kg and had Kysrium Equipes, after just 4500 miles, this happened to the rear wheel :shock: ....

7992867ce70211e29a0922000a1f8c1a_7.jpg
  • A lot of the Mavic wheels with steel spokes, then nipples have a nyloc in the top to stop them from shaking loose.
    This also means the nipples seem very tighten when truing, so you need to hold the spoke with a slotted tool to stop the spoke from twisting.