Clare's Law

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited November 2013 in The bottom bracket
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25077115

I take it the Male equivalent is in the works?

To be fair I thought MumsNet already had this covered.

Comments

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I think this law is supposed to work for either partner, although you'd be forgiven for thinking that it was JUST for women to check on men from the way it's been presented.

The older I get, the better I was.

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I wonder how many of the women killed by their partners didn't realise he was violent before he killed her. I wonder how many of the men had a criminal record for violence. I wonder how easy it will be to make a false allegation and effectively blight somebody's life.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Since when did we become American and name laws after people? Nauseous.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    What? So who is called Road Traffic Act then?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    "Clare's Law provides people with the information they need to escape an abusive situation before it ends in tragedy."

I think 'people' covers men as well :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Why would anyone want to check the criminal record of someone they're getting involved with. FFS if you are that doubtful don't get involved with them.

If I were in a relationship with someone and their behaviour made me feel I need to check her criminal record, I wouldn't bother, I'd give her the order of the boot one way or another.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Frank strike a good point! If you're checking up on your partner to see their criminal record then what are they doing with that person.

I've seen the Father of Clare, who was tragically killed, in interviews and I think it's a good thing to have. I have a criminal record, my wife knows and it's not an issue between us. Albeit mine was for stupidity rather than intent. :roll:
    Scott S40 Speedster
    Dialled Stay Strong MX20R

I no longer live in an ivory tower, these days it's vintage white :shock:
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    The view is only of domestic violence associated or prescribed offences which has to good news as it provides a broader and deeper view for the individual. A good female friend who I consider mentally strong and practical was herself a victim. She only shared that aspect after she finished the relationship which she had endured for 18 months. It blew me away she put up for so long. So providing a view to the uninformed potential partner prior to an event or a view taken post event by the victim of domestic violence who then remains in the relationship would suggest more informed research is required. Most victims are victims of multiple acts which makes the situation even more complicated.

It is concerning given the triggers for domestic violence. Locally the calls increase to police when the local City football club lose. Women living in fear in case the local team lose WTF.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Why would anyone want to check the criminal record of someone they're getting involved with. FFS if you are that doubtful don't get involved with them.

If I were in a relationship with someone and their behaviour made me feel I need to check her criminal record, I wouldn't bother, I'd give her the order of the boot one way or another.

Frank does indeed, make an excellent point. If you feel the need to check on someone, then they are probably not the one for you.
    I can perhaps understand why some people would think it a good idea to be able to check on potential suitors, it could be the thin end of a nasty wedge.
    Would a man be interested in the fact that a potential partner had made unsubstantiated rape or violence allegations, following the breakup of a previous relationship?