Mudguard extenders?

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I finally succumbed to n+1 due to a ridiculous deal involving sale discounts, cashback and a 50% off rebate due to my work health insurance leaving me with no option but to buy a 2013 charge filter cx bike for £230 (rrp £800). (ok I'll have to wait a year for the full rebate but anyway...)

Ok, the front mudguard is a bit short. Before I try and bodge something up are there any 'mudguard extenders' available that you recommend I could buy and save me the hassle? Or do you have any easy bodges that are just as good?

Cheers in advance!

ps my new winter bike is better than my summer bike...wtf!?!?!?!?

Comments

• Mines' made from a strip cut from a 4 litre plastic milk bottle and held in place with 2 small brass nuts & bolts (could also rivet of course). Works a dream and the previous one lasted 2 years. Took the old one off, used it as a template for another, and bolted back on.

I cut the strip from the narrower side of the bottle and utilise the corner curves to add rigidity to the bottom of the flap (snigger),the top gets it's rigidity from moulding itself to the inside of the mudguard. Hope that bit made sense.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I need to do something like this for my front 'guard too even though it has a flap fitted already - the addition of an extra bit would, I think, keep feet and lower part of the bike that biut cleaner.
    At the rear when I fitted the guard I added a piece cut from a bleach bottle (thicker plastic so should be more resistant to damage than a milk carton) - I added this to the front of the guard where I attached it to the chainstay-bridge so it hangs down maybe 2 - 3 inches lower. I know that not too much spray comes forward from there but every little helps and that bit of plastic does now get pretty manky so it's doing something of use I think.
  • Another tip regarding length of flap (snigger).

Make sure that if you drew a line from the bottom of the front wheel (where the spray would exit) across the bottom of the flap that the line would extend BELOW the bottom bracket at least.
  • Might use a bleach bottle next time..then I can have a yellow flap (snigger) to match the decals on my bike.

Good call.
  • andyrr
    I love my hi-viz flap (although it becomes a dirty flap quite quickly.)
  • obscene amount of flap love on this thread...;)
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Anybody got any flap pictures...
  • andyrr
    When I get home I'll maybe take a pic - will have to get down on my hands and knees to get a good shot.
  • Very rarely can you take a good clean flap shot. Due to their location they are usually filthy.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    My flap is made of a piece of damp proof course, could even pass for carbon fibre if you squint enough
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • My flaps are 2 tins of Stella Artois, cut open and flattened out then with the edges folded over into shape so that the logo shows rearwards. Glued on with a hot glue gun. Using beer tins look great and there's a plenty of supply for spares.