Rear wheel puzzler

redstar1
redstar1 Posts: 15
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Have a 2013 Rockrider 8.1 and having an issue with back disk brakes scraping when riding. When I have the bike upside down there's no issue at all, disks do not rub against the calipers at all. Issue only occurs after riding for 10-15 minutes. There is an awful scraping noise especially at low speeds. Sometimes when I use the back brakes fairly hard the issue will go away for a while but always seems to come back.

Obviously there could be a multitude of causes but anything obvious I can check myself?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check rotor is true, and caliper is aligned correctly. Also check the pads are moving equally.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    also check the hub bearings for play.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Reckon Nick's got it sussed if there's really a discrepancy between upsidedown and riding positions.

If it's not that, then check for sticky calliper pistons as well.
  • make sure the rear wheel is tight in the dropouts too.
  • If not loose bearings, look for soft rear skewer or dodgy dropouts that let the back wheel move in the frame under load.
    Could also be a broken axle.
    Also check that the brakes are not too full and pumping up after use due to heating or the possibility of some air in the brake lines.
    Moisture may have been absorbed into the brakes if it is DOT fluid based and not been flushed since new, and now the system is too full with no room left for expansion with heat.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There is no way a 2013 bike needs the brake fluid changing.

Brakes often make noise, sometimes it's just annoyingly normal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Moisture may have been absorbed into the brakes if it is DOT fluid based and not been flushed since new, and now the system is too full with no room left for expansion with heat.
    Very unlikely to impossible, firstly a bike system has the fluid sealed from atmosphere so no moisture can get to the fluid to be absorbed, secondly as the fluid absorbs moisture it actually reduces in volume initially and thirdly, even open to atmosphere it's unlikely to be an issue by now.........
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.