Arghhhhhhh stupid noise!!!!

lackofgrip
lackofgrip Posts: 851
edited November 2013 in Workshop
I've got a noise in my front wheel.

All spokes seem fine and to tension.

Sounds like a spoke nipple rattling around the rim.

Strip wheel down no noise. Nothing rattling.

Build back up, tyre to pressure and its back. So annoying!!!!!!!!!

The noise is usually there at low speed usually <8mph

I'm proper stuck with this one.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    lackofgrip wrote:

Build back up,
    so what do you mean by this?

take it off the bike?

remove all spokes and rebuild?

or something else?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    lackofgrip wrote:

Build back up,
    so what do you mean by this?

take it off the bike?

remove all spokes and rebuild?

or something else?

Just take tyre and tube off mate. I tried building a wheel once. Failed big time :roll:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Inner tube valve vibrating on rim?
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Inner tube valve vibrating on rim?

I thought of that but it defo seems like a rattling noise inside rim
  • There probably is some alloy debris inside the rim, it's very common. You might be able to shake it off by peeling off the rim tape, it might take some convincing but it should come off
    left the forum March 2023
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    edited November 2013
    Some rims can have the joint pin come loose and cause a tick or rattle. I have seen some wireless wheel sensors internals come loose causing a noise everytime the magnet passes and sometimes only at certain speeds. Quick release skewer or axle nuts done up tight. Are the wheel bearings in good condition, greased and tensioned properly?
  • There probably is some alloy debris inside the rim, it's very common. You might be able to shake it off by peeling off the rim tape, it might take some convincing but it should come off

I tried shaking it to holy hell. No noise not a squeak when the rim tap, tube 7 tyre are removed :evil:
  • Some rims can have the joint pin come loose and cause a tick or rattle. I have seen some wireless wheel sensors internals come loose causing a noise everytime the magnet passes and sometimes only at certain speeds. Quick release skewer or axle nuts done up tight. Are the wheel bearings in good condition, greased and tensioned properly?

Yes everything done up tight. Bike is new only done 200 miles or so