Narrow 700c disc wheels for commuting?

neilp7
neilp7 Posts: 66
edited November 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

i'm after a new set of 700c wheels for my commuter, they need to be disc specific not to wide as I run 28mm tyres and strong, as the roads I ride on are shoddy at best!

Also not too expensive! £130 at the most!

Cheers for the help.

Comments

• 29er wheels are the same size as 700c, this I know because I run 700c tyres on my On-One wheels. These wheels came fitted to a Planet X Kaffenbach 2 and look and feel super strong.

On-One do various 29er wheelsets around your price so check them out.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    For 28mm tyres don't worry too much about width.

According to Sheldon http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html 19mm internal width is fine and anecdotal evidence you'll be fine up to 23mm internal.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • neilp7
    I've currently got a fairly wide rear wheel at the moment, not sure on the exact width, but it makes the tyre quite flat meaning I get a massive amount of road buzz through it as the tyre is not dampening any of it!
  • The problem you will have is that very few companies are actually selling really thin road wheels that have disc hubs on them, although this may change in the future.

The wheels I mentioned earlier say that they are 27mm and are fitted with 28mm tyres which do not appear to be flat. I am guessing Sheldon's table is quite out of date as according to that my tyre/rim combo does not work. Also there is a trend for wider rims to give better cushioning.

Maybe you have your tyres pumped up too hard or if they are Schwalbe Marathons or Vittoria Randonneurs they just are very hard because of the puncture protection. I have tried both and they are far too uncomfortable for me even at low(ish) pressures.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The problem you will have is that very few companies are actually selling really thin road wheels that have disc hubs on them, although this may change in the future.
    Maybe not but plenty sell cycloscross rims which are the same thing!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • neilp7
    Yeah i am running a schwalbe marathon on the rear running at about 95psi.
    Not had a puncture in about 4000 miles, but it is incredibly stiff.
  • hp1975
    hp1975 Posts: 31
    or just use normal rims, so what if you have a braking surface that doesn't get used. I have a mavic open sport rims laced to an XT Disc hub. Perfect wheel for commuting, i thought the superfluous braking surface would bother me... it doesnt.