Would "petitioning" Shimano work?

Manc33
Manc33 Posts: 2,157
edited November 2013 in The bottom bracket
Shimano don't make their R443 front mech in a 34.9mm band, this is stopping me doing something. Two smaller bands are available, just not a 34.9mm. Shimano why u no want me to make a decently working hybrid?! :roll:

If I send them an email would they start making them? :lol:

Comments

• Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    edited November 2013
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Manc33 wrote:
    Shimano why u no want me to make a decently working hybrid?!
    I can see where the problem begins. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Manc33
    Nairnster wrote:

A braze on front mech that simply goes onto a band, no welding?

If it is that simple then sheesh... I owe you a pint Nairnster.

In the description of the front mech it says "Mounting - band/brazed-on" then later on it says "Band Mount - 28.6mm" so will I still be stuck with a mech that won't fit? How can it have a band diameter of 28.6mm if it is brazed on?
  • Yeh you just buy a band that clamps on to the seat tube, then you bolt the braze on mech to the band

I have a 34. 9 band fitted to my Ribble, and then a Sora front mech bolted to that.
  • Manc33
    Never realized you could just buy an adapter, well not for this, any mention of "braze on" gives me nightmarish thoughts of having to strip the whole bike down to the frame and have some guy do welding on it.

Honestly if this works the bike will be pretty much perfected. 8)

Its based on a road frame, but has flat handlebars and a huge gear range with 30-39-50 at the front and a MTB 11-32 cassette at the back, MTB shifters, MTB rear mech, road front mech (going to be changed soon for the Tiagra R443), Marathon Plus tyres, Brooks saddle, grippy double sided MTB pedals... now with all that on it, it is not just a road bike anymore, it can go on trails quite comfortably, I mean canal paths and so on, something the original road bike might have been alright doing but I wouldn't have tried it. Gonna stay on the road but its nice to have the option. With a carbon fork and that brooks saddle its not bad.

I remember getting that bike and my dad said "Aluminium, I bet its a bumpy ride" but the old steel tubing Pennine I used a while back had a far more bumpy ride. Bike frame tech must have come a long way, long gone are the days of insisting on steel frames for touring, erm I guess. :oops:
  • Yeah, its pretty straight forward:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pp/road-t ... pares/grsz

I got the second one down, the csn clamp in black.
  • Manc33
    On CRC they have an Ultegra priced at £8.49 then a "Shimano" one (without a name) that is £9.99 :lol:

The Ultegra says it is for the Di2 so I thought, better not. Ended up getting the one that isn't Ultegra.

RRP of the Ultegra is £9.99 and the no-name ones RRP is £14.99 lol. What the...

How can the Ultegra not be the more expensive one?

Standard "Shimano" adapter...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod38442

Shimano Ultegra adapter...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod69311
  • Manc33
    edited November 2013
    urgh...
  • Manc33
    Wait it does work I had the cable in the mech wrong.
  • Manc33
    This R443 front mech does work slightly better than the Sora did.

- It doesn't rub at the extremes.
    - Shifting from middle to big is a lot easier and snappier.

I screwed up by putting the cable in the Sora mech wrong the whole time, lmao. Any mech will be hard to change gear if the cable isn't at the right angle.

Since the R443 is a slightly better mech I might as well leave it on. I hate taking chains on and off. :roll:

I don't wanna bash XTR shifters (how can anyone) but these seem to just have stronger springs in them and a seriously accurate cable pull - but it seems most of it is down to a stronger spring than cheaper components?

Upshifting on the cassette with these XTR shifters is not even like you're pressing a gear lever, its more like pressing a button. Never knew gears could change so smoothly.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    This thread seriously needs some norks.

bcgazelle2B.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.