My new allez "winter" steed

dereko
dereko Posts: 55
edited November 2013 in Your road bikes
Picked up a 2014 allez the other day. Was holding out for a used Giant TCR (allux 2011 model) but this came up on tredz with a kind discount so I couldn't refuse. Tredz, by the way were great!
It's a base allez so is full A1 alloy (no carbon fork) and originally came with claris 8 speed.
This was switched straight out for 105 kit minus the calipers which are still the low end tektro jobbies.
Red Deda bar tape replaced the spesh cork stuff which was pretty nice anyway.
A couple of elite bottle cages arrived this morning 8)
Frame size is 54. I had an allez back in 2009 which was a 56 but aparrently, the new allez is similar in geometry to the tarmac and the secteurs have taken the old allez geometry which had a much more compact frame
rjB2x8N.jpg

Compared to my scott addict which is full carbon including wheels (due to my ridiculous weight saving obsession), I was expecting a crashy ride and for it to be a bit of a tank in the handling and climbing stakes but despite its weight (most of which I am sure is in the wheels and wire beaded tyres) it's very comfy and compliant, is not noticeably (to me) harder to get up to speed and required very little fettling to get it to fit.
klUqcfG.jpg
WwMLGMJ.jpg
Overall very pleased indeed, would I "fork" out for the next model up with tiagra and carbon fork? NO
The alloy fork is perfectly fine for what I need and I was always swapping the grouppo out anyway
Hope you like it, any questions please ask, I'll be happy to measure stuff if your thinking of buying one
ksAH3HC.jpg

Comments

• Nice looking bike that, certainly doesnt look as budget as it is.

I do like a nice white bike though. I need to take better pictures of mine adjusting something to stop the glare.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I don't see how Tiagra is an upgrade from 105...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • dereko
    Next model up comes with tiagra, mine came with claris which I swapped out for 105 ...
  • declan1
    Dereko wrote:
    Next model up comes with tiagra, mine came with claris which I swapped out for 105 ...

Ah right. To be honest you could just get an aftermarket carbon fork and save a load of money instead of having gone for the Tiagra one.

Looks really good though! I would go for black tape but that's personal preference.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• He didnt go for the Tiagra one though, so he saved money by not doing that and fitting the 105 which he already had.
  • declan1
    Nairnster wrote:
    He didnt go for the Tiagra one though, so he saved money by not doing that and fitting the 105 which he already had.

What I was trying to say was he could now purchase the carbon fork on its own - saving money over the parallel universe in which he purchased the Tiagra version with the carbon fork and eventually upgraded it to 105.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• dereko
    In all honesty, the ally fork makes a pretty decent ride, I doubt I'll go for a carbon one unless I get given one :)
    The 25 mm tyres prob help a bit too