Rapha Softshell Trousers

landdnl
landdnl Posts: 64
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
I'm needing some cycling pants that are as close as possible to the Rapha trousers(which have been discontinued) in terms of form and functionality. Any ideas? Man, I hate they discontinued those!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm wearing my Rapha trousers right now and have been all day, apart from a slightly padded thicker seat they're just like a normal pair of quality stretchy trousers.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I've never heard of Union 34, but at the price it's worth a gamble. If I'm not happy with them, I'm not out $125 or up.
    Has anyone used the Schoeller Softshell Trousers? Not cheap, but not any more expensive than the Rapha's. They seem to be the closest to the Rapha's as far as form and function. I'm still open to more ideas
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a pair of Union34 weather resistant hoodies. I like them. Ruined one with mineral oil on the arm but I still wear it for garage and garden work.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    rubertoe wrote:

I bought a couple of pairs - very pleased with them as commuting trousers that are smart enough for the office, although I'd recommend sizing down. They're not soft shell, and they're not thick, nor very stretchy, so prob. a poor match to the Rapha strides. When the mercury drops further, I'll be switching to lined crag hoppers.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    DrLex wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

I bought a couple of pairs - very pleased with them as commuting trousers that are smart enough for the office, although I'd recommend sizing down. They're not soft shell, and they're not thick, nor very stretchy, so prob. a poor match to the Rapha strides. When the mercury drops further, I'll be switching to lined crag hoppers.

Ditto, wasn't impressed that they put the standard write up on all of the union 34 clothing which said it sizes small so get one size bigger.
    I am about a 33" waist so ordered the 34" which were too big.
    Give them their due, they refunded me the return postage, and I got a couple of pairs of the 32" which are spot on.
    Have a google, as when I bought mine there was a code for £5 off orders over £45, so I just added a camelbak water bottle.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yes these are almost indistinguishable from Rapha

MENS%20SUMMER%20ELEMENTS%20TROUSER%20BLUE.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

They look like Strictly does Kwikfit! :shock:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Assuming most people don't want ITB's blue (?Klein blue), their navy is acceptable:
    u34cm0009_front_elements_water_resistant_trouser_dark_navy.jpg
    (there is no striped lock band on the back, thank $DEITY - rear shot here.)
  • itboffin wrote:

MENS%20SUMMER%20ELEMENTS%20TROUSER%20BLUE.jpg

Not exactly the Union 34 trousers I had in mind. They'd be great for a clown costume. I think Rapha may be a little more discrete and refined!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    A bit OT now but I very nearly bought some Gore Bike Wear ones last night...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    I'm wearing my Rapha trousers right now and have been all day, apart from a slightly padded thicker seat they're just like a normal pair of quality stretchy trousers.
    The 34" leg length has always put me off...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Have they got seat padding?
  • The Raphas are very good. The thicker seat (not padded) is actually the one thing I don't much like about them because it looks a bit odd off the bike.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I'm currently wearing a pair of the Union34 trousers and they aren't in the same ballpark as the Rapha trousers. Thinner material, not as good quality and I find them a bit short in the leg which is odd given that I do not have long legs by any stretch of the imagination. But for £20, they're very cheap....