cycle lane removed-who to complain to?

bobinski
bobinski Posts: 570
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
Any users coming down Brixton road and following the road as it leads into Kennington park road, where it joins the cs7, will have noticed that the bike lane has been removed as part of the resurfacing of the junction. This means that when the lights change at the junction of camberwell new road/Brixton road/a202 and cyclists move out of the asl cars behind overtake and cut in preventing cyclists getting to the asl at the junction at Kennington park road. Before the removal of the bike lane you could safely cycle through to the asl using the bike lane. So, a reasonable safe piece of infrastructure has been removed leaving less assertive/less quick cyclists more vulnerable. This seems absurd given the significant mumber of cyclists using that route and then joining cs7.
Anyone know who i approach to raise my concerns? Lambeth council or is this likely to be a Tfl responsibility?

Comments

• My guess is they're not quite finished, but I could be wrong. Not sure who you'd contact. The council who own that stretch, I'd guess. So glad they've finally resurfaced that are. Travelling in the opposite direction was a nightmare of potholes and dodgy drain covers.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    A simlar thing happened near me. The road had no markings for weeks which was great as everyone gave you more space when they went past.
    Then the white lines down the centre were painted and people started squeezing past keeping on their side of the white line as much as possible.
    A few months after the resurfacing the cycle lane was put back, less than 1m wide. Cars/buses/lorries now assume that if they keep out of the cycle lane that's plenty of space :roll:

If it's a decent cycle lane then try TfL as they can pass it onto the local council and Boris keeps trying to please cyclists. If it's a crap cycle lane then do the same, but ask them not to put it back :mrgreen:
  • bobinski
    My guess is they're not quite finished, but I could be wrong. Not sure who you'd contact. The council who own that stretch, I'd guess. So glad they've finally resurfaced that are. Travelling in the opposite direction was a nightmare of potholes and dodgy drain covers.

I thought they may not have finished but all the other markings are now down. Agree about travel in the opposite direction. And the deeper bike lane to the Asl, able to hold if not pick up some pace before hitting Brixton road proper.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    if its a borough road then its the boroughs responsibility - strategic roads are however TfL.
    If re-surfacing has been completed the white lining should have been done pretty much straight after - if there was an accident due to missing lines questions would be asked !
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    I'm on there every morning around 8:30, happy to add my voice if you find the right person to raise it with. Could do with the potholes in the CS7 towards hefalump sorting out too.
  • Have you tried emailing the Daily Mail?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bobinski
    Have you tried emailing the Daily Mail?

:lol:
    Nahh, but i do know someone who claims to be a journalist contributing to the DM online...
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    This morning there was still a sign saying "No road markings", so hopefully it will get added back in soon. Although the road surface is vastly improved now, some of the thick paint that has already been put down is very dangerous in the wet. Last week riding south towards that junction I almost completely lost it as I crossed the paint for the bus lane. Both wheels slipped and I really thought I was about to hit the tarmac.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well, you will probably have noticed today that the 'new' road markings have been removed, so hopefully the bike lane is going back in soon. Otherwise I agree it was sorely missed.
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    It's back :D
  • bobinski
    Hurrah!
    Even if i did get stuck in it this morning behind 30 or so cyclists none of whom wanted to filter through to the Asl which meant there was only once cyclist in the Asl, with a foot on the pavement. Not surprisingly when lights changed traffic pulled away sharply leaving a long line of cyclists trying to beat the lights! hilarious and I only swore once :)
  • bobinski wrote:
    Hurrah!
    Even if i did get stuck in it this morning behind 30 or so cyclists none of whom wanted to filter through to the Asl which meant there was only once cyclist in the Asl, with a foot on the pavement. Not surprisingly when lights changed traffic pulled away sharply leaving a long line of cyclists trying to beat the lights! hilarious and I only swore once :)

If only your title had been, Jennifer Lawrence has yet to give me a blowjob-who to complain to? Judging by what happened in this thread...