Kona Unit 2014

BigStu2
BigStu2 Posts: 794
edited November 2013 in Your mountain bikes
First ride on the new unit today and it didn't dissapoint. It's a 17" and seems to fit me fine at 169cm short. I kept thinking it would be great with a decent fork but for an £800 this is an awesome ride, On some of the snakier smoother sections it absolutly hammered along and on some of the roughter sections it hammered me.
Bar height is possibly a little too high but can be fixed with a flat bar and or a headset swap to remove the cone washer at the top. However this riser bar is one of the best stock bars I've used, 750mm wide and feels awesome as are the grips. Tyres are sweet too not sure if their foldable or not but are grippy and fast, enough said.
How fast can you go on these things, as per the last photo-todays max: 42kmh :) , Thats err downhill on the asphalt into town :roll:

76j7.jpg
uxfa.jpg
zi6w.jpg
.........all
...at........work
fun..................&
..no.............no
.....is......play

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Kona have really upped their game recently!
  • Hi BigStu2,

I'm a french mountain biker, I try to find informations on this bike, especially on the geometry
    As you, my heigth is also 1,69cm. I wondered if the 17" was the best geometry for us. Did you try the 15" before buying ?
    I think that the better size should be 16", but that's not available on the 2014 .

Thanks !
  • BigStu2
    dyoups wrote:
    Hi BigStu2,

I'm a french mountain biker, I try to find informations on this bike, especially on the geometry
    As you, my heigth is also 1,69cm. I wondered if the 17" was the best geometry for us. Did you try the 15" before buying ?
    I think that the better size should be 16", but that's not available on the 2014 .

Thanks !

Hi dyoups,

I was concidering the 15" but am glad I went with the 17", it comes with a 60mm stem so is not streched at all and a 730mm bar (not 750mm) , To help with sizing my saddle height is (from the centre of the bottom bracket straight up to the top of the saddle) 660mm and the saddle is pretty much in the centre of the seatpost clamp, The old 16" model had a much slacker head angle, this one is Amazing and steers precisly where you want to go, You'll love it .
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Hi BigStu2,

Thanks for your advice. :D
  • Is this the one that Rick rode for a month in MBUK?

It looks nice, but I reckon i'd need new filings!
  • BigStu2
    Is this the one that Rick rode for a month in MBUK?

It looks nice, but I reckon i'd need new filings!

Rick tested a 2013 Unit, I'm sure it was a 19", so, thanks, Your the first person that thinks I'm Tall, I'd love to be as tall as Rick but.... no
    That Unit had a flat bar and non tubeless rims, this one has a really nice riser and tubeless ready rims that I'll try and convert today.
    As for fillings falling out do just like he said, relearn to Hover over the saddle ( I've been contemplating a carbon seatpost but I'm not sitting down all that much on singletrack anymore and its comfy as on gravel roads) so my saddle is 1cm lower than my piglet and then all you need to do is to Float it or skim it over Everything, which I thought I did already did on the Piglet but it seems you rely too much on a sus fork with the rear wheel pinging off everything, With this you just pick a nice line and go for it, I cant Always say its comfy but I am first up the climbs with my mates ( Untill its too steep then I get off and run/wheeze my way to the top) as you cant afford to climb slowly as it kills your knees so pick up the pace and youll be amazed what you can do.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play