Ghetto modifications

Cqc
Cqc Posts: 951
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Hi just interested to see any unusual ghetto mods people have put on their bike (eg reflector turned chain guide, etc.)
Pictures welcome :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited November 2013
    Ghettoblaster?
    bike-frankenbike.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    SPEEDHOLES
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A few things
    Front mech into a chain guide by removing the return spring and washers and cutting off all the parts not needed like the actuation arm etc, much neater looking and lighter than a complete mech.
    BB cable guide cut back for just a single cable to save weight on my 1x9, have a proper 1x guide on my commuter that came off a BSO.
    Inner guide ring cut from a sheet of carbon fibre for my 1x9.
    Downtube drilled and rivnuts inserted to take a crudcatcher

Not sure these class as proper ghetto but....
    Nylon bolts (for blanking bottle cage etc bolt holes) died black (looked better than natural)
    Frame stripped and resprayed with aerosol cans
    Brakes built up using a mix and match of Shimano components of a similar age, Saint rear lever with an XTR calliper (IS mount direct to frame), XT front lever with the Saint calliper (PM mount direct to forks).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    A few things
    Front mech into a chain guide by removing the return spring and washers and cutting off all the parts not needed like the actuation arm etc, much neater looking and lighter than a complete mech.
    BB cable guide cut back for just a single cable to save weight on my 1x9, have a proper 1x guide on my commuter that came off a BSO.

Nylon bolts (for blanking bottle cage etc bolt holes) died black (looked better than natural)
    Brakes built up using a mix and match of Shimano components of a similar age, Saint rear lever with an XTR calliper (IS mount direct to frame), XT front lever with the Saint calliper (PM mount direct to forks).

All sounds a bit frankensteinish :lol:
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Briefly did a single speed conversion on an old 24spd bike using an old screw-on-freewheel hub -

Stripped down two old (6 and 7 speed) freewheels and rebuilt one using its 16T sprocket plus the spacers from both.

Locked out the rear mech by cutting the cable short and clamping it beneath a luggage-rack bolt on the seatstay, so it acted like a tensioner.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Nothing elaborate from me, just a simple bodge to fix the broken ATA adjuster on my old 66s which would wind down when riding. This held them at max travel and quite surprisingly lasted until I sold the forks for spares or repair last year. Who needs travel adjust on 66s anyway? :)

p4pb8211223.jpg
    p4pb8211224.jpg
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good bodge, the only sad bit is the rasta colours.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jimothy78
    Ooh! Those pics of the fork crown remind me of another - using a 1990s 6-speed thumb shifter to replace a missing pop-loc remote for my revelations. Actually an improvement, as it gave 6-position compression-damping control, rather than the on/off toggle of the poploc lever.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    Good bodge, the only sad bit is the rasta colours.

Haha, I do a little bit of rasta on all my bikes. See below:

p4pb8452115.jpg

I must have been subjected to too much Culture Club in the 80s :lol:
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Ooh! Those pics of the fork crown remind me of another - using a 1990s 6-speed thumb shifter to replace a missing pop-loc remote for my revelations. Actually an improvement, as it gave 6-position compression-damping control, rather than the on/off toggle of the poploc lever.

That's actually one the best bodges I've heard of, top marks! Bonus point to be awarded if it was a DX Thumby :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • jimothy78
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Bonus point to be awarded if it was a DX Thumby :)

Sorry, not sure what it was, exactly, but pretty sure it wasn't DX - just an entry-level SIS shifter taken from my wife's old Raleigh Camaro.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    jimothy78 wrote:

I did something similar. I used a barrel adjuster from some old V brakes and very short bit of cable in the pop lock. I could adjust the compression damping anywhere from fully open to half closed by winding out the barrel adjuster. Which suited me fine because I never used the lockout.
  • Ive seen one of those old thumb shifters fitted to a quill stem before.

I have a good bodge, i had 2 sets of polished v brakes, and one of the ones i wanted to use had no return spring. So i used two different v brakes! Ill get a picture tomorrow.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Rookie wrote:
    A few things

All sounds a bit frankensteinish :lol:
    May sound it, doesn't look it, check out top link in Sig, just on 10Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Dunno if it's a ghetto mod but I was doing a C2C and was about 30 miles from home when one of my spokes snapped on my rear wheel. I didn't have any tools to remove said spoke as it was on the cassette side so I bodged it together by cable tying it to the spoke next to it to stop it from flapping about and getting wedged somewhere it shouldn't or causing more damage... Wheel got me home no bother and no more spoke snapped, though it was the end of the wheel and I upgraded shortly after! :D

spoke.jpg
    It's been a while...
  • Does my toe warmers count....?

1472874_10151868794754580_1859941337_n.jpg

:oops:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Wurd biatches

pnnr.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Poplock fix sounds awesome to me! Once built a dropper post by sticking an air strut inside the seat tube of an old HT frame. Low limit made out of reflector on seat post, high limit decided by the number of Jenga pieces I put under the air strut inside the seat tube. Adjusted by Allen key Welded into the seat clamp. 150mm of adjustment and cost me £15! :lol: