Buying a used garmin

Moominman2
Moominman2 Posts: 389
edited November 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a second hand garmin edge 800 at just under 2 years old.

I just wanted people's opinions on this, as they are a lot of money. Buying it second hand makes it more affordable for me personally, but how reliable are these devices? I don't want it to cost me more than just buying a new one with warranty if it breaks in the first year!

Opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• I've had mine for three years without any problems.

There is an inevitable risk with buying one second hand as it has had two years use and is without warranty so as much a anyone can say there's is reliable it's no guarantee that all units will be.
  • Thanks. That's what I'm concerned about.

Do I go with used and get more for my money? Or do I play it safe, get less but peace of mind with a brand new, warranty covered unit?

Unsure about this one...
  • £270 new for the Garmin edge 800 Trail Bundle doesn't seem too bad...

Ordnance Survey maps/ cadence and HRM...

Hmm...
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Do I go with used and get more for my money? Or do I play it safe, get less but peace of mind with a brand new, warranty covered unit?

It depends on the price. If you are hesitating then it sounds like it is not cheap enough to justify the risk?
    Only you can answer this :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    £270 new for the Garmin edge 800 Trail Bundle doesn't seem too bad...

Ordnance Survey maps/ cadence and HRM...

Hmm...

I wouldn't pay extra for maps as the free online ones are excellent
  • You're right there. I don't think I can risk it. I need warranty!

Ahh but the garmin with nothing...cheapest I can find is £227. That's without cadence/ HRM. I wouldn't mind playing around with cadence, but not fussed on HRM.

Are the free maps easy to download? They seem complicated? Although, I have only briefly looked.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well...

I had an extremely positive experience with Garmin after buying second hand.

I broke it 3y after the warranty had expired, and i had owned it about a year. I called Garmin to repair it and they asked for the unit details and registration details.
    I admitted I bought it second hand, but was able to name the seller, who had register it. The lady cancelled the registration so now I am going to re-register it to me then send it back, and I am getting a replacemt unit for 65quid which isn't bad (edge 500).
    I imagine this deal is available to the new purchaser only, but she seemed all to happy to transfer registration without me asking n
  • That's good to hear. I wondered what would happen if I were to ask for a replacement if mine broke.

How did it break? And I assume the 1 year warranty supplied is a bit of a guideline if you managed to sort that out 3 years after the warranty expired?

Thanks
  • Easy to download. You need these two weblinks.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

I recently added the Canary Islands to my 800 as I was going on holiday. Took 5 mins.
  • Thanks for that mate. I'll have a look through it and see if it sways my decision!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The connection to laptop didn't work any more so couldn't upload rides (but charged fine). I think the warranty would have applied had it even in date to replace the unit for free had it not expired. Again, had not been able to re-register it I think I would be looking at full price to replace it
  • Ok mate, thanks for that.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Garmin customer care is second to none.

I needed their help with a 192 (aviation unit) and they could not have performed better.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • So...all signs are pointing to second hand...?
  • Trouble is Garmins hold their value well it may be worth paying an extra £40-50 to get new.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Trouble is Garmins hold their value well it may be worth paying an extra £40-50 to get new.

I would be wondering what condition the battery was in given that I sometimes do all day rides using the map feature?
    How much is a replacement battery?
  • Have a look at http://www.velomap.org for free maps as well.
  • coriordan wrote:
    The connection to laptop didn't work any more so couldn't upload rides (but charged fine). I think the warranty would have applied had it even in date to replace the unit for free had it not expired. Again, had not been able to re-register it I think I would be looking at full price to replace it

I had this problem with my 500.

I thought it was a dodgy cable/connection, but turns out the Garmin just needed a full reset.
  • Ok thanks all

So, for about £90 extra, would it be worth just playing it safe?

I'd get the garmin trail with maps, cadence and HRM as that's the OS map bundle, and is literally a tenner extra.

Or I may just get the base map package with nothing. If I decide cadence etc is pointless for my needs.

So crap at making these decisions.
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Ok thanks all

So, for about £90 extra, would it be worth just playing it safe?

I'd get the garmin trail with maps, cadence and HRM as that's the OS map bundle, and is literally a tenner extra.

Or I may just get the base map package with nothing. If I decide cadence etc is pointless for my needs.

So crap at making these decisions.

I'd pay the 90 quid and the cadence and HRM are a must for me. :wink:
  • Hmm I think I would too mate! I think you've swayed my decision.

Now the question is...garmin 800 vs the 810? Haha
  • Moominman2 wrote:
    Now the question is...garmin 800 vs the 810? Haha

:mrgreen:
  • Ahh I'm going for the used one. Already made a deal and am confident in garmin if it goes wrong!

Thanks for the help all :)

Luke
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If it breaks it'll probably cost >£100 for a NoH replacement from Garmin. People pay daft money for used Garmin that are out of warranty. You'll only get a free or cheap replacement if it fails through a common defect that Garmin are aware of and are keen to keep quiet.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ive had my 800 since Jan 11 and its currently done 1015 hrs of use, problems, well the only things that have happened are it switched itself off once on a ride, and drained its battery once overnight and thats it,i certainly have no plans to replace it with an 810 unless it breaks, even then i,d probably have another 800, ive also still got my 305 which still works perfectly and thats over 7 yrs old.
  • Maybe paranoid but have you checked what mounts been used by the current owner? I haven't used one but some people have mentioned the original K-Edge mount with metal to Garmin interface cut into the softer plastic tabs on the back. If they've been worn then maybe that would be worth a bigger discount. Other than that they seem pretty bullet proof (I've got a three year old Edge 500 which is still going strong).
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I was looking for a 500 with hrm & cadence.

Pro bike kit have 15% off...the price was within 10% of what I had seen used examples sell for on ebay...it made sense for me to buy new for the guarantee and knowing it had never been dropped etc....

easier to sell on as well if you have a [proper receipt if you ever want to upgrade.
  • Thanks for the replies.

So, what is the expected life of a garmin 800 ?

Put individual defects aside...How long would you expect one to last if it was looked after?

Thanks,
    Luke